Reef nutrition

Anyone with experience want to try to save a couple torches?

B the Nano Reefer

Supporting Member
Bought these a couple months ago and were initially fine, and then started a slow decline. Flesh started to recede. Every morning I’ve pulled anywhere from 2-7 asterina stars off these guys. Don’t know if the asterinas are eating the healthy flesh causing the issue, or if the flesh is dying and they’re eating the dead flesh.

FYI the completely dead head was a result of me dropping the torch pretty hard directly on that one head… not sure if this caused trauma to the other head.

Everything else in the tank (including hammers, rbta, frogspawn, chalices, etc.) are all fine with fat healthy flesh bands. 2 year old tank. Don’t know water params other than temp 79 and salinity 1.025.

If you are experienced with torches and can pick up (today preferably) and try to save these, I’m for it. Hopefully they can make it. Fine for you to grow out until there’s a fraggable head. Take one, and then return the rest. DO NOT sell. To be clear I’m not giving this away or selling (and can ask for them back at any time), merely trying to find someone who might be able to provide these guys some TLC.

Let me know, thanks.

Attachments

• 78AB87E3-7F9E-459B-8FBA-CAF1A2C8EC4C.jpeg
    78AB87E3-7F9E-459B-8FBA-CAF1A2C8EC4C.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 106
  • C3FFBC7F-3C83-4167-AC30-E00B681AFCA1.jpeg
    C3FFBC7F-3C83-4167-AC30-E00B681AFCA1.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 102
Bought these a couple months ago and were initially fine, and then started a slow decline. Flesh started to recede. Every morning I’ve pulled anywhere from 2-7 asterina stars off these guys. Don’t know if the asterinas are eating the healthy flesh causing the issue, or if the flesh is dying and they’re eating the dead flesh.

FYI the completely dead head was a result of me dropping the torch pretty hard directly on that one head… not sure if this caused trauma to the other head.

Everything else in the tank (including hammers, rbta, frogspawn, chalices, etc.) are all fine with fat healthy flesh bands. 2 year old tank. Don’t know water params other than temp 79 and salinity 1.025.

If you are experienced with torches and can pick up (today preferably) and try to save these, I’m for it. Hopefully they can make it. Fine for you to grow out until there’s a fraggable head. Take one, and then return the rest. DO NOT sell. To be clear I’m not giving this away or selling (and can ask for them back at any time), merely trying to find someone who might be able to provide these guys some TLC.

Let me know, thanks.

I’d recommend seeing what your alkalinity, calcium and magnesium levels are as well as nitrates and phosphates. Even if someone were to get these torches back to full health and gave them back to you, without knowing the state of your tank, you could just encounter the same problem once back in your tank.

I’d recommend seeing what your alkalinity, calcium and magnesium levels are as well as nitrates and phosphates. Even if someone were to get these torches back to full health and gave them back to you, without knowing the state of your tank, you could just encounter the same problem once back in your tank.
And it’s a chance for a learning opportunity. The hard way is the best way for me unfortunately. I always try to learn when I kill something.

Thanks. Don’t test often enough to be honest. Alk hovers around 8.5 with calcium at around 460. In 2 years, can’t recall losing any other coral (montis, pocilliopora, nems, acan, zoas, hammers, frogspawns, list goes on). Never kept any demanding SPS.

Never have tested phosphates and nitrates.

Would expect someone to hold ideally for a few months. I appreciate there is a risk they don’t make it in the holders tank but might give them a better chance than their current situation. Hopefully when I’m ready to take em back it’s in a bigger setup.

@FullerReef is currently also dealing with torch issue and will do Cipro treatment. You can touch base and join him

Things seem to be continuing downhill for my euphyllia, I'm going to do a tank Cipro treatment starting tonight, based on this method.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/e...s-for-brown-jelly-disease.782438/page-1#posts

Anyone had any luck with this? Feel like something has to be done.

His build thread - https://www.bareefers.org/forum/threads/fullerreefs-im50.32922/

Idk if this is the same issue, this decline seems more gradual than mine. I also noticed in my case that the tissue peels back from the mouth, which seems to be the opposite here, the tissue seems to be receding from edge.

Idk if this is the same issue, this decline seems more gradual than mine. I also noticed in my case that the tissue peels back from the mouth, which seems to be the opposite here, the tissue seems to be receding from edge.
That’s right. No peeling tissue. In my case the flesh has been slowly receding up the skeleton every time, exactly where I pick a few asterinas off from. I’m positive the asterinas were consuming the flesh but I’m not sure if it was healthy flesh or dead flesh and if the latter, what was causing the flesh to recede. Every other euphilya in the same tank has a thick healthy flesh band.

I was having the same outside edge recession issue until I got back my ICP test and corrected a lot of missing trace elements. Have you tried doing a heavy series of water changes?

I was having the same outside edge recession issue until I got back my ICP test and corrected a lot of missing trace elements. Have you tried doing a heavy series of water changes?
Thanks. Tank is a 20 gallon with weekly 10-15% water changes with coral pro salt and mid-week (half way through water change cycle) manual dose of Red Sea trace elements). Aminos 2x week. Been pretty consistent with this routine for 1.5 years. No other corals have shown any indication of unhappiness. Some grow faster than others, but haven’t lost anything else

With such a small tank volume, it might be worth doing a couple 50% changes the next couple weeks just to reset things. If the same thing isn't working then it might be time to switch it up.

I recommend do ciprofloxacin (antibacterial treatment), looks like bacterial infection or intense parameter swing, an icp test would explain a lot.
14173DA9-7191-490F-B2BD-E9432F8ACB28.jpeg

Here’s my tank, torch doninated

Last edited:
Damm... surprised nobody offered to host them... faster.
Just a question ware these torches from the wild or tank raise?
The tourches from the wild are really tricky. You can get them a bit cheaper from wholesalers but they are not as resilient.

To be fair, someone did reach out, but timing to transfer just didn’t align. I got busy.

Didn’t think about that. I think the second torch i added was wild. Not so sure about the first.

Back