got ethical husbandry?

API aqua spin

Watching that video again, I hope there’s a way to recycle those plastic disks. If a lot LFS start using this test kit, that’s a ton of wasted plastic.
A test that’s good for the health of our reef-in-a-box, but potentially bad for the health of the reefs in the ocean?

Not optimal but still early in the development cycle, hopefully they can come up with a more sustainable process. Makes sense to get a test that works and has demand first, then later hopefully optimize this sort of thing.

I'm going to start positive and then turn into a skeptic.
1. $12 (referencing the other thread) is a reasonable rate for testing several things. I can see this eliminating some human error as well as saving employee time. Doesn't matter when there is down time, but I've definitely been in stores at busier times when there aren't enough employees to begin with and suddenly a couple people want water tests.
2. Pre-packaged reagents are going to do a nice job of removing human error, as is using an instrument to take the measurements.
3. One of my never going to get to it projects is setting up a bunch of peristaltic pumps and Hanna checkers (think Trident), this is a (loosely) similar concept, so I like it.
4. The actual base tech is established.
5. Good for someone who only rarely checks in on their parameters.
6. I can see this being really useful for service companies. I used to run many of these tests every time I serviced a tank. It takes time, which costs money. Even if this thing took 10x as long to run a test it would still be nice for that because you can be doing something else at the same time.

Now for the skeptical part:
1. Of those parameters, pH of a sample that isn't fresh from your tank isn't of high value, ammonia isn't of particularly high value unless you're cycling a new tank, same with nitrite. I'm highly suspicious that the phosphate test will be sufficiently accurate at low range, but perhaps it is. That leaves the big 3 (alk, Mg, Ca) plus nitrate. $3/test sounds fair for LFS rates. I'd almost consider that for home use (depending on the accuracy) except for the fact that I have a Trident (big benefit in that it runs unattended).
2. I really hope those plastic things are recyclable. It would be even better if they used some sort of compostable plastic, but I sort of doubt they are.
3. I was unable to find any accuracy information for the specific tests online. The simple fact that it isn't published is concerning. It might be just fine,but it really should be published.
4. It's really not fair to compare this to a $75 lab test. If you're mailing out a Triton or other ICP-OES sample just so you can get the items listed above and are ok with API level accuracy....mail it to me, I'll give you same day results!
5. For the regular reefer, it's REALLY fast to check alk, especially if you're just going for 1 dkH resolution. Pressed I can do that test in under 30 seconds. If I'm doing it regularly and have a waste bucket nearby it's still quite comfortable inside of 60 seconds.

Back