Cali Kid Corals

Average lifespan of cleaner shrimp?

I have one that’s is very lethargic looking. I would normally think it’s molting except it’s not hiding. It’s at least 1.5 years old and that seems to be the longest I can keep them alive.

Anyone have any idea how long they normally live? I kinda feel bad watching it look so rough.

The only thing I’ve changed is I’ve been dosing iodine here lately to get up to readable levelsmon my salifert test kit. ICP’s always come back very low on iodine, so I’m finally (slowly) bringing levels up. I can’t imagine that would have anything to do with it, but I’m no scientist.

I had one for 2.5-3 years which I read is roughly their lifespan. I can't speak to it looking lethargic towards the end because I unfortunately didn't pay much attention to it's activity level. It probably depends on how old it was when you got it.

I had one for 2.5-3 years which I read is roughly their lifespan. I can't speak to it looking lethargic towards the end because I unfortunately didn't pay much attention to it's activity level. It probably depends on how old it was when you got it.

Yeah I usually pick bigger ones. Especially now since I have the marine Betta. So maybe they are older when I get them. I always go for large ones.

Yup, I've heard the 2 year number, which is why if you get one you should get the tiny ones and not the larger specimens since those got one foot in the proverbial grave. Speaking of which... I haven't noticed my cleaner shrimp in a while.

I’m there with you. I think 1.5 is about the longest I’ve had a cleaner shrimp for. Got sick of buying them and replacing them so I go without them now.

Back