Our mission

'band' practice space in oakland/peninsula area?

So, my roommates and other friends are starting a taiko group. Basically it's a group playing large loud drums. May have seen taiko in the likes of SF Taiko, SJ Taiko, Kodo, etc. If you've seen lion dancing drums, then think of multiple ones of those. So they're looking for practice space somewhere in the bay area. Preferably somewhere not quite residential since they'd be practicing ~8-11pm or so and with a good sized room with some lights. Empty warehouses, school gyms and the like would be great. Just looking for ideas or if anyone has hookups (the empty place next to where Max used to be would've been nice). They can pay some, but not looking for professional studios really.

These things could probably drown out an incoming train man...Played with a group in SD for a few years and the drums can really carry.

There a place for bands in Oakland that used to be called soundeave studios, may still be, but the made it a bit nicer and I think a new company took it over, so the name may have changed... The spaces aren't terrible cheap, but I used to share one with two other bands and it wasn't bad that way. Plus it was 24 hr! Near west grand and poplar

Last time I used soundwaves it was $35 for the 9-1 am shift, I'm sure it is more. My band uses a local storage facility that welcomes bands, our studio is $250 a month and is a 25X25' square unit, it's real nice since we can leave gear in there and it has 24hr surveillance, no luging crap around. I'm sure something similar could be found in the city or on the peninsula. Also, I'm not sure if they are still around as again, I've had my own studio for almost a decade. But there is/was Lennon studios in SF SOMA Tenderloin area, is was $30 for 3 hours IIRC.

Coral reefer said:
There a place for bands in Oakland that used to be called soundeave studios, may still be, but the made it a bit nicer and I think a new company took it over, so the name may have changed... The spaces aren't terrible cheap, but I used to share one with two other bands and it wasn't bad that way. Plus it was 24 hr! Near west grand and poplar

On Adelaide? The warehouse space we used to rent (with a nice studio built in) had several practice spaces, even a dance studio. When we left IIR they starting using our space for hourly rentals.

phishphood said:
So, my roommates and other friends are starting a taiko group. Basically it's a group playing large loud drums. May have seen taiko in the likes of SF Taiko, SJ Taiko, Kodo, etc. If you've seen lion dancing drums, then think of multiple ones of those. So they're looking for practice space somewhere in the bay area. Preferably somewhere not quite residential since they'd be practicing ~8-11pm or so and with a good sized room with some lights. Empty warehouses, school gyms and the like would be great. Just looking for ideas or if anyone has hookups (the empty place next to where Max used to be would've been nice). They can pay some, but not looking for professional studios really.

Actually, asking Max is a good idea. He's got a lot of connections.

phishphood said:
Care to drop the name of the storage place (looking to see if they have any other facilities on the other side of the bay.).

I'll get you contact information, it's out of the way for everyone except us Coastside dwellers.

Jeremy- no biggy, was just wondering if they had more facilities (chain or expanded etc).

Tim: what's her name and is it called Yukai or Kyodo? I know/knew quite a few people from UCLA, among the other collegiate groups.

Gresh- I'll send him an email or call him some time I guess. You mentioned you used to rent a warehouse? That type would be great since the more space the better, and we don't really need nice facilities or anything. Literally just some light, and somewhere that's not exposed to the wind.

And thanks everyone for chiming in, it's been a big help.

Back