Reef nutrition

Biocube 32

I'll try to bring some water with me thanks.

I had both tests so I figured I would just use both for comparsion purposes for a few weeks.

I have b ionic 2 part as well, I've only used it once before I got the AFR. Just not sure about dosing 1 item limited knowledge on the dosing front (didn't wanna risk doing anything stupid and risk killing stuff, but if there was some way to dose a specific individual items more precisley I'm open to product recommendations if something is better and on the easier side like AFR) *** keep in mind I don't have dosing pumps so I would have to manually poured it in.

@MichaelB - Nice to meet you earlier. As promised, tested your water with a brand new Fauna Marin Phosphate test kit, and it reads higher (!) than the max which is 1 ppm. I know there are folks here which run their tanks with this much phosphate, but I feel this could still be a reason for your SPS issues.

Also, I am not a fan of AFR, and would suggest to use the 2 part instead, as per the instructions, and keep testing until to have the right dose for each part.

IMG_6476.jpeg

@MichaelB - Nice to meet you earlier. As promised, tested your water with a brand new Fauna Marin Phosphate test kit, and it reads higher (!) than the max which is 1 ppm. I know there are folks here which run their tanks with this much phosphate, but I feel this could still be a reason for your SPS issues.

Also, I am not a fan of AFR, and would suggest to use the 2 part instead, as per the instructions, and keep testing until to have the right dose for each part.

View attachment 54710
Thanks I did just feed alot and dropped reefroids the other day, water change happens tomorrow. Will check them again in a day or 2

Thanks I did just feed alot and dropped reefroids the other day, water change happens tomorrow. Will check them again in a day or 2

Looks like then your Hanna is reliable, but you might not need to use the Salifert. I would not feed reef roids unless you have a low phosphate issue. Feed benepets instead.

Looks like then your Hanna is reliable, but you might not need to use the Salifert. I would not feed reef roids unless you have a low phosphate issue. Feed benepets instead.
Yes I've use it about only every 2 weeks cause phosphate issues with reefroids, thou I wish I could do it weekly. I've never heard benepets, but after a quick search looks good from the reviews so ill try to get some and give it a shot.

View attachment 54710

What SPS issues? I thought he said his SPS was really taking off?

Yea no sps issues. Brought up dosing because I wanna ensure things keep growing.
Yeah if things are going good - I wouldn’t stress the test results, if anything use them as a known successful baseline. Your numbers look perfectly fine to me.

Keep an eye on alk, and increase AFR a little at a time. Remember AFR takes a couple of days to reflect.

I am using ESV 2 part myself and my tank seems very happy with it, but if your tank is doing great with AFR right now I say let it ride!

Just a update - all the corals are looking good, I picked up a nice chunky frag (practically a mini colony) from a Gentleman named Tin from Facebook TCK Burning Bush, picture is attached. Looks stunning to me with polyp extension.

My female maroon clown has taken to knocking down some of the sps frags lmao, as she doesn't like my placement It seems she doesn't want anything new that could get in the way of her rbta. So I'll have to buy frag rack number four in order to keep her happy.

Also included are my latest tests results for the present week.

The increased amount of afr 7ml up from 5ml may not be enough to maintain current levels as I'm seeing a slowly projected downwards trend from week to week. I'm not fully sure what to do with keeping them more stable. I plan to test again next week and go from there. If they continue the downwards trend I will definitely have to find other manual dosing options or increase afr amount again.

I'm not planning to do anything quickly by any means. I will probably also bring some water to be tested at Neptune tommorrow just for another point of reference. I want to see if the numbers compare closely to what I get at home. So I can reinsure myself i'm not skewing the results by testing errors on my end.

I'm also thinking of getting some bio bricks to start soaking in the back of this tank so I can help seed the 65gallon when I get it going. I finally have all the plumbing parts for it I believe I need.

4/11/2024 dosing 7mil daily afr. ,

Tested 1 hour after 5 gallon water change

Alk - 7.7 salifert
Alk - 7.5 hanna
Mag - 1200 salifert
Ca - 420 salifert
Ca - hanna (not tested need rodi water)
Po4 - .64 hanna (low range)
P04 - 0.3 salifert

Attachments

• 20240411_210426.jpg
    20240411_210426.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 20
Just a update - all the corals are looking good, I picked up a nice chunky frag (practically a mini colony) from a Gentleman named Tin from Facebook TCK Burning Bush, picture is attached. Looks stunning to me with polyp extension.

My female maroon clown has taken to knocking down some of the sps frags lmao, as she doesn't like my placement It seems she doesn't want anything new that could get in the way of her rbta. So I'll have to buy frag rack number four in order to keep her happy.

Also included are my latest tests results for the present week.

The increased amount of afr 7ml up from 5ml may not be enough to maintain current levels as I'm seeing a slowly projected downwards trend from week to week. I'm not fully sure what to do with keeping them more stable. I plan to test again next week and go from there. If they continue the downwards trend I will definitely have to find other manual dosing options or increase afr amount again.

I'm not planning to do anything quickly by any means. I will probably also bring some water to be tested at Neptune tommorrow just for another point of reference. I want to see if the numbers compare closely to what I get at home. So I can reinsure myself i'm not skewing the results by testing errors on my end.

I'm also thinking of getting some bio bricks to start soaking in the back of this tank so I can help seed the 65gallon when I get it going. I finally have all the plumbing parts for it I believe I need.

4/11/2024 dosing 7mil daily afr. ,

Tested 1 hour after 5 gallon water change

Alk - 7.7 salifert
Alk - 7.5 hanna
Mag - 1200 salifert
Ca - 420 salifert
P04 - 0.3 salifert

Tin is the man!

Yes second time i've bought from him, both times wonderful peices. Probably a good thing that him luke, and kenny are further up north, lmao otherwise, My pockets would be hurting.

Yeah seriously I wish I could just go over and shop at his place. There’s another guy in one of the Facebook groups that has some beautiful corals, Aaron. I picked up two hammers from him today and they’re awesome

Went to Neptune today as mentioned in my last post and got them to test my water. Results posted below for comparsion. They don't match perfectly as I expected they wouldn't, but I think they line up fairly well with slim differences. This ensures me that my own testing is pretty much on target.

I did notice mag was getting much lower than the others, so one of the exployees recommended kent marine Tech M magnesium picture included. I'm expecting I shouldn't need to dose this daily maybe only once weekly in combination with daily dose of AFR.

I will research this product more and figure out best and safest way to use. To raise Mag to within the desired range. I'll test a few times after adding what’s recommended to see how much is needed and how often.

4/11/2024 dosing 7mil daily afr. , taken after water change

Alk - 7.7 salifert
Alk - 7.5 hanna
Mag - 1200 salifert
Ca - 420 salifert
P04 - 0.3 salifert

4/12/2024 tested @ Neptunes.
Alk - 7.9
Ca - 435
Mag - 1145
P04 - 0.5
Ammonia - 0.1
Ph 7.7
Nitrate - 22
Nitrite - 0.1

Attachments

• 20240412_174500.jpg
    20240412_174500.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 14
Went to Neptune today as mentioned in my last post and got them to test my water. Results posted below for comparsion. They don't match perfectly as I expected they wouldn't, but I think they line up fairly well with slim differences. This ensures me that my own testing is pretty much on target.

I did notice mag was getting much lower than the others, so one of the exployees recommended kent marine Tech M magnesium picture included. I'm expecting I shouldn't need to dose this daily maybe only once weekly in combination with daily dose of AFR.

I will research this product more and figure out best and safest way to use. To raise Mag to within the desired range. I'll test a few times after adding what’s recommended to see how much is needed and how often.

4/11/2024 dosing 7mil daily afr. , taken after water change

Alk - 7.7 salifert
Alk - 7.5 hanna
Mag - 1200 salifert
Ca - 420 salifert
P04 - 0.3 salifert

4/12/2024 tested @ Neptunes.
Alk - 7.9
Ca - 435
Mag - 1145
P04 - 0.5
Ammonia - 0.1
Ph 7.7
Nitrate - 22
Nitrite - 0.1
What do they use to test at Neptune?

This afternoon I was able to get a used mp10 as well as a mp40 My first ever higher end wave makers. Originally the plan was to get two mp10s for the 65 gallon tank. It was suggested to me the benefit of going after a mp40 for the larger tank instead. Mostly that it had tons more flow than a mp10 and I wouldn't need to run that at near max flow unlike if I went with the mp10s.

So I was thinking and hating the 3 different wave makers I had in my current 32 - main tank. So I still decided to still get a mp10 to upgrade the cube as well.
I've had it installed for only 3 hours and I'm freaking blown away at the ease of mobius, the power that this tiny wave maker has is more than the 3 other ones I had combined that where all larger.

I didn't fiddle with the settings too much. Just went with a preset called reef crest, and set the max power to 65%, under meduim flow. I looked at all the options and there were far to many for me to even begin to understanding the differences any of them would make. So I tried 90 precent just to see what it could do and tank looked like a whirlpool. At 65% it came off as a moderate increase to what I had before the mp10.

All in all I'm more in awe than a guy from the middle ages 3 hours after being introduced to a cell phone.
The only bummer is that my eagerness will have to wait to see what the mp40 can do. No way would I consider trying it out in the 32, after seeing the mini tsunami mp10 caused at 90%.

Last edited:
This afternoon I was able to get a used mp10 as well as a mp40 My first ever higher end wave makers. Originally the plan was to get two mp10s for the 65 gallon tank. It was suggested to me the benefit of going after a mp40 for the larger tank instead. Mostly that it had tons more flow than a mp10 and I wouldn't need to run that at near max flow unlike if I went with the mp10s.

So I was thinking and hating the 3 different wave makers I had in my current 32 - main tank. So I still decided to still get a mp10 to upgrade the cube as well.
I've had it installed for only 3 hours and I'm freaking blown away at the ease of mobius, the power that this tiny wave maker has is more than the 3 other ones I had combined that where all larger.

I didn't fiddle with the settings two much. Just went with a preset called reef crest, and set the max power to 65%, under meduim flow. I looked at all the options and there were far to many for me to even begin to understanding the differences any of them would make. So I tried 90 precent just to see what it could do and tank looked like a whirlpool. At 65% it came off as a moderate increase to what I had before the mp10.

All in all I blown away than a guy from the middle ages 3 hours after being introduced to a cell phone.
Only bummer to my eagerness that will have to wait is to see what this mp40 can do. No way would I consider trying it out in the 32, after seeing the mini tsunami mp10 caused at 90%.
Glad you like it! It really is one of those things that's hard to describe why it matters. First time I saw one I went, "So WHY is it that much?" then I used one and went, "Oh...that's why."

Also, cool fact - your Vectra return pump has all the same settings and you can run it on Mobius, too! :)

Glad you like it! It really is one of those things that's hard to describe why it matters. First time I saw one I went, "So WHY is it that much?" then I used one and went, "Oh...that's why."

Also, cool fact - your Vectra return pump has all the same settings and you can run it on Mobius, too! :)

Lol you described exactly how I thought of them when I saw the price of the new ones. Like dang these cost more than the lights I have for the tank. Now its running, I don't have cords all inside the tank, I don't have to figure out what cord to unplug to feed the tank. Let alone the worst part of taking it all out to clean them.

Look foward to the return pump if it's just as easy as these with the app.

Back