Cali Kid Corals

biocubes

i currently have a 10 gallon setup that i was thinking about doing some seahorses in but do to the wide back and forth jump in my parameters i have not done anything as of yet, and was thinking about getting a 14 gallon biocube what all do you folks think about these tanks, or would you think i need to go with a 29 gallon setup instead, and what would you suggust i get if i go the 29 setup, it will have to be on a slow add bases do to my budget.
and i will say yes i am already a member of seahorse.org.
thanks in advance

I ran into problems with oxygen exchange. Sure there was good gas exchange within the cube, but getting fresh air into the semi sealed cube was another issue.

Generally the more water the easier it is to keep things steady. Assuming you keep your bio load down. Also, it's my understanding that smaller more frequent water changes would limit the changes in water chemistry and keep things more consistent.

I have had my 29 gal biocube up and running for over a year, and it does have its issues. the lights that come with it arent that great, i mean they are fine for my Xenia and Mushroom corals. Ricordeas didnt really like it, but then again, i only have one in there, so i dunno.. i think it wants to be put somewhere else in the tank. i like my biocube though, and the coralline algae is off the hook in that tank. just keep in mind that there is a gap in the back between the tank and the three chambers, and the lighting fixture, so often id have to dig to get fish that jumped over the side into the pumping chamber out of there, and also on the grate, so if you get a biocube, i recommend you make that modification. i also got one of those oceanic skimmers for the tank, and it works great. but i agree, the more water you have, the easier it is to take care of it. i dont have to clean the tank out TOO much, but i know that the smaller tanks require more maintenance time!

Back