Cali Kid Corals

Chaeto or bio pellets for nutrient control

The only condition I would consider using biopellets again is on a 200+gal system and build it at half size.

It gets out of control too easily.

Have you considered a sulfur denitrator? I haven't used one yet but it seems like a better alternative.
Supposed it smells like “rotten eggs” after a bit..even though very effective.

I was hesitant about using chaeto. I just didn't believe it would work. Especially being limited on space. I have and AIO, and an underwater tunze refugium light, I am just using one of the back chambers to grow it. I don't change water all that often and I am having to dose nitrates and phosphates to keep from bottoming out. I change out filter floss twice a week, but other then that tank maintainence is minimal. At first, I struggled a bit, but I started using Chaeto-Gro from brightwell and now it is thriving.

Chaeto is amazing. My daughter's biocube has 5 fish, gets fed pellets and frozen food twice a day, corals fed twice a week and I only use chaeto and rock rubble in the middle chamber with a red/blue led shining through the back glass.

I trim the chaeto once it's big enough to stop tumbling in the chamber.

Tested yesterday and nitrates were 0.5, po4 0.05.
I need to cut back the light cycle but it's basically the only thing keeping the pH over 8.0 most of the time.

Back