Kessil

Chalice coral - road to recovery

Just wanted to share my somewhat success story of this chalice (Hollywood stunner? If I remember correctly).

Background: this coral was at the free table at the last regional BAR swap, bleached but had all polyps still in tact. The polyps were a bit clear but had green hues, and the whole skeleton brown.

Decided what the heck, I’ll try to bring it back to health.

Over time the brown started receding and turning white and the polyps started dying off. Moved it to every possible location in my tank: high light low flow, high light high flow, low light high flow, etc. etc. but nothing worked. During that time, I was feeding reef roids and benepets once a week, as I’ve had great success with all other corals, still no go.

The chalice did not look good and I was down to only two polyps left. I thought it’ll be a goner but decided to keep it in the tank anyways.

I didn’t have testing kits at the time but I would say I was running a pretty low nutrient tank (2 clowns in a 29, doesn’t require much feeding, and I don’t dose or anything).

Fast forward to today. Currently battling dino, so I removed GFO, upped my feeding of fish every couple hours everyday, and direct feeding of reefroids and benepets 2-3x a week.

Got my numbers sort of dialed in, but not quite:

Nitrate 5-10 (API kit)
Phosphates 0.11ppm (Hanna checker)

Haven’t done a water change in 3 weeks.

Dino’s are slowly receding back, and FINALLY this chalice is starting to grow back again!!

I now have 5 polyps and they’re definitely bigger than before.

Nothing special, but wanted to document and share this non scale victory.

Unfortunately I don’t have any photos in between.

Before:
933275562eaf4f436eaff1c8e0260c52.jpg

Today:

a4ed7e65c97daaccc4ae33fd7c9142b9.jpg

71dc2b3c03b1ea214555e8cd514f109d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back