Jestersix

CO2 scrubbing media on vent of Kalkwasser container?

Darkxerox

Facilities, Events, LFS Partnership
BOD
I'm trying to figure if this would help me increase the pH on my tank while not blasting through CO2 absorbing media as fast as having it connected to a skimmer intake. Couldn't find anything online about anyone doing this either.

The hypothesis is that it will reduce the amount of carbon dioxide seeping into my kalkwasser container (a vented container to not create a vacuum) and therefore cause the limewater to react with CO2 in the tank as it adds back at night when CO2 is highest in my bedroom (1100ppm+). Before anyone asks, no I'm not leaving my windows open at night to fix this!

I read through this RHF article from awhile ago and my situation with saturated limewater with no solids would fit into figure 6: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-05/rhf/feature/index.php

1687550840427.png

Generally my container lasts me about a week too. Granted this drop is probably 10-15% of theoretical potency, but I wanted to see what others thought here!

My kalkwasser container is a 15 gal barrel that would be sealed if I screwed the cap down all the way. I leave the cap just a little loose…. How big is your vent? Pinhole should be enough, but not too much.

Back