Reef nutrition

Computer help..

My wife's laptop stopped working, shows a blue screen with a message
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Windows shuts down to prevent damage.
I replaced both memory banks and still has the error, no hardware upgrades since she bought it.

Any help appreciated

basically the message means that there's an issue with an interrupt due to either the driver taking a dump or something in the actual hardware (ram, or actual device or even the memory on the device's board itself). I would try to see if you can get the BSOD to not reboot completely and find out what drivers are causing the problem -- then uninstall and reinstall the driver again.

if the drivers do not reinstall correctly, then your next step is to back up your data and format the machine, or just get rid of the hardware device.

if you've replaced both memory banks and nothings worked -- what you can try replacing 1 bank, boot up and then replace bank 2 and boot up individually if you have not done so.

Thx.

Sometimes it boots but windows shuts down with the blue screen; I did replaced memory banks to find if one of them was causing the issue and swapped with my laptop's memory too and still does it.
I can not get it to go into safe mode, still kicks me out.
I thought it might be a defective HDD but don't want to spend just to find it is not.
I would do a fresh install but she has pictures in there.

Thx

Well, worst comes to worst, someone can probably take the HD and copy the contents. Then you can do a clean install with everything backed up.

Not sure if anybody has said this but go into safe mode, back up all the files, then uninstall windows. which wipes out the memory. Then go back in and install it with a windows disc. Worked for me! :bigsmile:

I was going to suggest unplugging all USB devices in case you have any plugged in. Also undock from any docking station you might be using.

If you boot from a Windows CD, (depending on what version of Windows you are running), you might be able to have Windows "repair" the install partition automatically. (It's an option on the boot menu.) That might be a good last resort prior to wiping everything.

Not sure if it will help but you can try to reset the BIOS to factory default.

Edit:
Found this on Microsoft website.. Guess reset BIOS won't help but maybe try to disable the USB port in BIOS to see if that help.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902973

Thx for the help, I'm narrowing down to the possible cause; went to the BIOS and don't see where to disable USB, might need a second look at it; I'm suspicious of the USB, the only thing USB plugs into it is an iPod, well sometimes a printer.
I might try a clean install but is Win Vista and I don't have a cd and did not make one, I know the system is on the same HDD so if it gives me an option not to erase everything then it will be OS re-install
I tried Matthew going into safe mode but kicks me out with the blue screen.
Couple years back I used to deal with PC issues and now is all gone, I have "Memory" issues but I can't replace my memory bank.

Thx for all the help

I guess I have to do that, but need to buy a SATA, the one I have is ATA; I'll get an external enclosure and get all the files to be saved; lesson learned, always back up EXTERNALLY...

Thx

Even better than backing up externally is backing up remotely. If your house burns down or you get robbed you still lose everything. My personal photos are priceless so I use www.mozy.com.

Back