Jestersix

Copper and hyposalinity qt

popper

Supporting Member
Is it safe to simultaneously do copper and hypo in the same tank?

Power blue tang been in it for 4 days. Still eating but hiding more. I don't have a copper tester yet so don't know the ppm.

Copper power instructs 1oz per 10g. I just dumped 1 cap full into an IM 14g tank.

Last edited:
I personally would not do so. My understanding is slightly hypo water can be a stress reducer, but treatment levels of hypo already have a lot of stress and risk. Similarly treatment levels of Copper are stressful. Adding them together seems very high risk/stress, especially for a fish that might be sick already. Also adding copper without the ability to test it is ... more risky than being able to do so.

That's all not just because of the stress induction in the fish, but also each of those is going to cause issues with any bio filtration you have, which also makes it hard to manage.

Given you already did it, I'd personally decide how much you care that the tang makes it through. If you care a lot, I'd personally consider doing some water changes with exact matched salinity or a tank transfer to a copper-less tank, doing a drip acclimation during the move. If you care less, I'd buy a copper tester, keep it stable until your hypo is done, raise salinity, and then finalize copper.

I'd also go read humblefish forums for more advice and ask for guidance there as well.

Maybe I wasn't clear. It has been done and it's on day 4. No more white spots on pbt. He's still eating brine, pellets, nor, and flakes.

Starting to raise salinity today.

It has been around a month now. Salinity range from 1.026 to now 1.009. Copper range from 0 - 2.38 (4/25). Today I changed 3 gallons from a 20-25 gallon tank and it dropped to 2.15. Just added a half cap of copper power hoping to raise it to 2.2-2.3.

All fish are eating fine. The powder blue tang was in the 14g by itself for 2 weeks. After I add it to the 29g tank, the purple bullied it. However the purple end up as the casualty.

I should had put the purple in cage when I noticed the harassment. Sad cause the purple is sentimental to the wife and I.

20230424_141748.jpg
20230428_123602.jpg
20230428_085227.jpg

Raised salinity to 1.015 on 5/1. Copper is today is 1.97. Today moved all fish into 5 gallon bucket and filled qt water to half. Did a drip from new tank with a bubbler. When 5 gallon is full, left bubbler and fish alone for 30 minutes. Moved all fish to new tank. All swimming and eating pellets.

Guess I'm just lucky hypo and copper treatment simultaneously work for me.
20230502_174312.jpg

20230502_175342.jpg
20230502_203626.jpg

Back