got ethical husbandry?

Coral Colour Question –

Are the colours of the various animals in our tanks normal? In the wild do they look the same or are we artificially changing them with lights and additives? I’m not talking the heavy blue/actinic lights where everything fluoresces, just the everyday colours that show up when all the lights are on. The bright sps colours, the bright green or yellow softie colours, all those funky zoas, the various anemones, etc…

-Gregory

I'd like to go diving someday....but just have this aversion of looking like an elephant seal in a wetsuit. :)

Seriously, I'd like to someday......I've snorkled in Hawaii and took some pics but wasn't too impressed. It was prolly the area.

-Gregory

GDawson said:
I'd like to go diving someday....but just have this aversion of looking like an elephant seal in a wetsuit. :)

Seriously, I'd like to someday......I've snorkled in Hawaii and took some pics but wasn't too impressed. It was prolly the area.

-Gregory
The corals in Hawaii are generally dull compared to most other places I have been diving.
As a matter of fact the stuff around here is way more colorful. Now if your talking fish, well Hawaii makes up for itself there.

The reason some colors look different in our tanks than in the wild, I think, is because certain colors are not present at depths were some corals and fish live, such as red. Example: even not that deep divers who have cu themselves have been shocked to find out that their blood looks black or even green.

nudibranch said:
The reason some colors look different in our tanks than in the wild, I think, is because certain colors are not present at depths were some corals and fish live, such as red. Example: even not that deep divers who have cu themselves have been shocked to find out that their blood looks black or even green.

While the depth issue and color is true, its not why corals look different in our tanks. Do not miss the talk Jeremy is luning up for us. Its high level discussion but I know you can keep up :)

Back