Reef nutrition

Coral warfare & Green nepthia....

Gdawson's thread got me thinking about coral warfare and a possibility that may have happened to me. A few months ago I cut off of my Green Nepthia colony one of 2 main branches, about .5" diameter and that branch never really recovered, rather it slowly receded. Now it's dead but the other main branch has recovered. I'm wondering if the cut was too big and the green Nepthia has been emitting toxins/ coral warfare ever since which could be a cause of my problems. I'm considering removing the Green nepthia as a precaution.
Maybe this is a shot in the dark. Someone tell me if I'm way off base here as I'm just thinking what could be possibly be my problem and that perhaps Green Nepthia can emit a lot of toxins to threaten an entire tank. Has anyone heard or had this kind of experience with this coral?

I don't know if that's your problem...however, if it is a chemical warfare issue carbon is the proscribed solution to clear it up. Other than complete removal of the nepthea of coarse.

Note: (and this is just from reading and not practical experience...yet) In the Calfo breeding/fragging book "leathers" (nepthea, capnella, sinularia, etc...) don't do well when fragging larger branches. They can be pruned that way if it's a fast clean slice, but don't generally do well for re-attachment. Stick to the small branches near the ends and always cut at a branch fork for fragging.

-Gregory

I think you would be ok if you ran carbon aggressively. Ive fragged my Nepthea into 15 frags but carbon in a reactor and found no issues from toxins.

I do run carbon & change about once/ month. I'll know not to cut such a big frag next time as that branch died- at least the rest of it is ok.

If you're running carbon then this isn't the answer .......

Next time cut all your frags off the end first...let the branch recover from the shock and then lop it off.

Bill,

Take a look at this article, its specifically about fragging green nepthea.

http://reefhobbyistmagazine.com/archives/vol_3/issue9/pages/issue_9-6.htm

Back