Cali Kid Corals

DBTC one of a kind Schizoculina Africana

LordHelmet

Supporting Member
I purchased this piece last January and it has done so so in my tank. it has gone from almost bleached white to rapid recovery and healthy (after a near tank crash from my 3 year olds overfeeding.) back to slowly bleaching. I have been target feeding it once a week but I do believe now that it needs nutrient rich waters and very low light levels.

it is a very cool and unique coral that is almost unheard of in the hobby.

Requirements
Must have well established tank with large bio-load.
must have excellent success with SPS and target feeding LPS.
If it is wanted by the Steinhart crew it goes there first.
will be picking out the person with a good track record.

thanks

Schizoculina fissipara

One of a kind? Shhh don't tell mine that, he thinks he has friends (30 pieces came on fist shipment with him)

It's an LPS and almost totally non photosynthetic (NPS). Mine sits under a ledge with nearly no light and it has twice the color as it did when I got it.

http://reefbuilders.com/2009/12/14/schizoculina-fissipara-and-s-africana-precede-a-wave-of-fresh-new-corals-from-sao-tome-west-africa/

IN that post Jake says its photosynthetic but since then many have proven that theory not to be true in their case.

easily done. I'll ask the importer if he's got any struggling ones :)

BTW Chris, has yours grown any? Mine grew, but it lumped out in every direction so the growth isn't such I can frag it. One massive lump of coral :(

Yes, like a very lump porites.

Schizoculina-fissipara.jpg

sorry no, there is nothing under the ledge with it to get stung (that amount of light in other words)

almost one of a kind. I also got on the first shipment as well.

mine has grown a little, but mostly like yours, just one big lump of coral. I can frag off a section and thats what I'll do. It wasn't doing well until my 3 year old dumped a whole jar of fish food in my tank and I had a mini crash. I ended up losing all my acros most of my monti's and some LPS but this coral went nuts and did a big color up and growth.

nudibranch said:
That could be a good headline for a magazine,

" 3 year old saves Schizoculina Africana"
That would be spot on for most inaccurat media reportings...

Schizoculina fissipara not Schizoculina Africana
. It comes from Africa.

Back