High Tide Aquatics

Derek's 225g - 1 Year Birthday

My parameters these days:

Alk: 8.0
NO3: 25
PO4: .45

Temp: 76-78
PH: 8.0-8.2

I don't test for much else and do 20% water changes every 2-3 weeks. The only thing I struggle with is phosphate - but I also struggle with whether or not to care. It got as high as .7 before I started to make efforts to get it down (feed a little less, did a couple more frequent WCs). It's slowly creeping up again.

I know this is one of those highly polarized topics - I read a study that gets thrown around a lot that showed coral grew the fastest at around .5, albeit with weaker skeletons. A lot of other folks in the hobby (Rich, Sanjay, Kenny, etc) run really high po4 with no issues. Many coral farmers and other successful folks insist on much lower levels.

IMG_8725.jpg

My water station in the garage - plumbed in the typical fashion, nothing special. What I love about this though is that I can run ATO water or saltwater directly to the tank via a 25ft house. I no longer have to f-around with garbage cans, buckets, spills, etc. Water changes of 40-50 gallons (20-25%) are so quick and clean and easy now that I have been pretty religious about doing them.

I use a hose to siphon out all the old tank water into the driveway (any issues with this rather than using a drain?), then connect that same hose to the saltwater reservoir and pump it in to the tank and I'm done.

What's the huge filter above the bench? Seems like you have enough stages already!

It's the "chloramine buster" from BRS. Last time I checked the San Rafael municipal water report it showed super high chloramines. I was having some unexplained issues with the tank at the time so decided to add the filter for peace of mind...if anything, it probably just extends the life of the rest of the stages.

It's the "chloramine buster" from BRS. Last time I checked the San Rafael municipal water report it showed super high chloramines. I was having some unexplained issues with the tank at the time so decided to add the filter for peace of mind...if anything, it probably just extends the life of the rest of the stages.
Ah interesting, thought you guys got the good Hetch Hetchy water too, that's a bummer. But yeah good plan, save that DI resin that's the most expensive.

I did a water change yesterday, which I do every 2 weeks or so, 10-20%. I tested Alk afterward and it was where I'd expect it to be. I noticed this morning that Alk had jumped up a little, .2 dkh - not a lot but I use Kalk dosing and an Alkatronic and my alk is extremely predictable, so this is unusual for me. My assumption was corals were just kind of grumpy from the WC (I vaccumed the sandbed, which I don't typically do). But then I noticed PH was also much higher than typical this morning - 8.3 when it normally, always, drops to 8.1 overnight.

Can stirring up the sandbed do this? Boost alk and ph?

Everything is happy so I'm not worried about it, here's a couple recent vids of the tank:

I did a water change yesterday, which I do every 2 weeks or so, 10-20%. I tested Alk afterward and it was where I'd expect it to be. I noticed this morning that Alk had jumped up a little, .2 dkh - not a lot but I use Kalk dosing and an Alkatronic and my alk is extremely predictable, so this is unusual for me. My assumption was corals were just kind of grumpy from the WC (I vaccumed the sandbed, which I don't typically do). But then I noticed PH was also much higher than typical this morning - 8.3 when it normally, always, drops to 8.1 overnight.

Can stirring up the sandbed do this? Boost alk and ph?

Everything is happy so I'm not worried about it, here's a couple recent vids of the tank:

How soon was it after you mixed the saltwater that you used? Newly mixed salt water can have a pretty high pH.

I’ve never had luck with them. Also was curious how long it’s been a good non coral eater

He's never shown any interest in coral. He picks at the rocks a bit, occasionally. He gets along great with everyone but is definitely on the "assertive" side and is pretty high in the overall pecking order. He's been a good boy! He gets a little HLLE on and off, that I've never been able to pin down.

How soon was it after you mixed the saltwater that you used? Newly mixed salt water can have a pretty high pH.

This batch was definitely mixed more recently than typical, like right before I used it. Perhaps that was part of it!

Was cleaning my gyres (maxspect xf350) and discovered one of the impellers was swollen, cracked, and rusting! Surprised it was still running in this condition. You always hear about this happening to magnets but I'm surprised it happened so quickly - pump has been in service for <6mo.

IMG_8960.jpg
IMG_8961.jpg

Good reminder to not skip on maintenance and take a deep look at your equipment occasionally! Yikes.

Good example of quick success with true live rock without any special additives!

Is the mantis still in there?

Gosh, starting with live rock has been a complete revelation. That, and keeping things super simple.

Yes, the mantis is still around - I saw him slithering between some rocks today. He's a good 2.5" long now. I haven't seen any snails or hermits disappear, so I'm just gonna leave him be for now...such a cool critter, he can stay as long as he's not making my inverts extinct.

I see another clownfish in there?
You have a sharp eye! Yeah - there’s the pair that live in the magnifica and then also a small clarkii clown that has a bubble tip anemone on the other side of the tank.

The dominate female of the pair occasionally harasses the clarkii but he (she?) sticks up for himself and hangs around pretty good.

Back