Neptune Aquatics

Dino or not-social experiment

Does it go away after lights out? Or look less in the morning then gets thicker as the light schedule progresses?

Take a sample out into a capped sample cup. If you shake it, does it break apart then form back together after a little while?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does it go away after lights out? Or look less in the morning then gets thicker as the light schedule progresses?

Take a sample out into a capped sample cup. If you shake it, does it break apart then form back together after a little while?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Great post and questions.
No it doesn't go away at night.

all, I have a confession here.
My intention of this post is to run a brain teaser and have a small social experiment in to how we should look at such queations of (is this dino, or is this cyano..ect)
Reality is, this is not dino, its simply diatom.
As you can see from this small experiment, some was biased by past experience or fear of dino to conclude or nudge toward this is dino. And some asked me the right questions and nudged me tward getting more databto ID properly..

I think the right thing in these situations is to ask the op some questions first to collect data.
Things like
How old is the tank?
Is it still in cycle?
Whats thw parameters like?
Have u done scope imaging?
Does it disapear at night?
Did you see snails fatality?
Whats your husbandry like?
Some of these questions could reveal that maybe system still in cycle in which its more likely diatom, or system parakaters high on nutrients which can point toward algae..etc
I also hope this post show how easy it is to confuse diatom with dino from single picture...
I hope I did not step my boundaries here, and hope I benefit someone now or in the future

This is my frag tank diatom..
Well I hope it is, am starting to question myself ha ha.

Happy Wednesday!

Last edited:
Can you share how to identify that it's diatoms not dino?
I did use microscope to confirm.
But even without it
Since tank still in cycle
My nutrients are not out of wack
Algae do not disappear at night and appear again during day
I did not have snails fatality
And I am sure if I take sample out, put it in a cup, shake it will not disappear then appear again if I leave the cup under the sun for 30min or so

Last edited:
Back