Kessil

Dinoflagellates: Who has beat them?

Never understood why people don’t seed their new tanks with pods right off the bat! Every tank I’ve started I always ad pods, and feed phyto off the bat, I put coral in right away, even with dry rock starts! If there is no competition for nutrients, then ya you will get the nuisance shit. This is why my cycling process of tanks is different than the “standard” or “norm”. Give that tank life right away! I don’t use magic turbo starts or any of those cycling products,i don’t believe in them at all, that’s why I don’t sell them. I don’t want to dump raw ammonia and phosphates and crap in my tank, I add life!! Life will out compete the ugly nuisance shit in most cases. My 150 at the shop is a great example of starting a tank with dry rock and avoiding the uglies! That’s why I did that experiment tank at the shop, so I can show people and help break this old methodology of starting a new tank.
Life will find a way!

Never understood why people don’t seed their new tanks with pods right off the bat! Every tank I’ve started I always ad pods, and feed phyto off the bat, I put coral in right away, even with dry rock starts! If there is no competition for nutrients, then ya you will get the nuisance shit. This is why my cycling process of tanks is different than the “standard” or “norm”. Give that tank life right away! I don’t use magic turbo starts or any of those cycling products,i don’t believe in them at all, that’s why I don’t sell them. I don’t want to dump raw ammonia and phosphates and crap in my tank, I add life!! Life will out compete the ugly nuisance shit in most cases. My 150 at the shop is a great example of starting a tank with dry rock and avoiding the uglies! That’s why I did that experiment tank at the shop, so I can show people and help break this old methodology of starting a new tank.

Have you ever looked into sending a sample of your 150's water to Eli Meyer @AquaBiomics? Might be interesting to see how it stacks up on a microbial level. Did you start with any rock or sand from a previous established tank?

I had LCA Dinos pretty bad for a while. I dosed silicates (water glass) for quite a while, and never saw any diatom blooms, and eventually gave up on that. I kinda just stopped trying anything for a while and let it be and then one day realized that there wasn't much of anything on the sand bed anymore. I still get a light brown dusting in some areas, but its thankfully not an issue for me anymore.

Back