High Tide Aquatics

Does the Ranco temperature controller probe need to be waterproofed?

I just wired up my Ranco controller and am testing it in a bucket of water with the heater element I plan to use. I did some web searching and some folks mentioned using heat shrink tubing on the probe as the Ranco probe was not “waterproof”.

Ranco users, did you heat shrink your temp probe?

V

It’s not technically waterproof. I’ve run without one on one of my Ranco controllers for a year and didn’t have a problem, but have since either used heat shrink or a plastic tube with silicon at the ends.

Last edited:
I just wired up my Ranco controller and am testing it in a bucket of water with the heater element I plan to use. I did some web searching and some folks mentioned using heat shrink tubing on the probe as the Ranco probe was not “waterproof”.

Ranco users, did you heat shrink your temp probe?

V
Do you have the Aqua Logic one or the Ranco branded one?

Huh?
I put the temp probe in the sump

From the two stage Ranco manual:

84BF8802-6C73-4940-8B92-ADECCAB4CC2F.jpeg

IP67 is only rated for immersion in up to 1M of water for 30 minutes. Also, I believe tests are also only conducted in freshwater to get that rating.

Aqua logic branded controllers encapsulate the probe in a titanium enclosure.

55CCB344-EB1A-4C8E-9370-2F486FA0CD1E.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the Ranco branded single stage unit.

I heat shrank it but my tubing was only long enough to cover the probe and two inches of wire. I pinched close the end.

plastic tubing with silicon might be better.

Never read that…
simply placed in water to noted point
set the temp
connected the heater
went about my day

i have about 10 of them, same process

Great?

Doesn’t change the fact the probe isn’t stated to be waterproof. It may work, it may not, but it is not something tested or claimed by the manufacturer.

The Inkbird temp probes used to be bare metal and there were recommendations to coat them for waterproofing. Plasti-Dip is an easy solution.

Back