got ethical husbandry?

Feeding zoo's

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=1754.msg16292#msg16292 date=1172093642]
My softie tank is dirty enough that I don't really feed anything, although the irony is my softie tank looks way cleaner than my sps tank :)

[/quote]

It helps if you clean the acrylic first before you look Mike - :D

I don't target feed my zoas, as there seems to be enough junk in my tanks.

Zoas absorb dissolved organics.

Palythoa, protopalythoa, parazoanthus(yellow polyps) can take in particulates.

Here's a good article:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2003/invert.htm

And the pertinent sections:

"Zoanthus spp. do not need to be fed directly, since they obtain much of their nutritional requirements from their symbiotic zooxanthellae. They must therefore be provided with adequate illumination to thrive. They also ingest dissolved organic substances from the water, as well as fine particulate matter. Some species do not take large particles of food, while others do take and eat such things as flake food, blackworms, shrimp, and sea urchin eggs. Regular feeding promotes rapid growth."

"Protopalythoa spp. all take food when it is offered. They feed on meaty things such as shrimp, worm, or mollusk flesh, and will also take fish eggs, invertebrate eggs, flake foods, and pellet foods."

"Although various aquarium references have called this zoanthid a Parazoanthus sp., it is not. [...] Care of yellow polyps is simple: give them strong light and feed them. If they are placed in strong water motion they will catch the food offered to the fishes, and do not need supplemental feeding. They eat flakefood, shrimps, worms, or anything meaty and small enough for them to grab."

You can blenderize some food and use the liquid portion for zoas and the more chunky portion the other types.

Back