Our mission

First Saltwater Tank!!!

@Coral Reefer: I dont have any snails. If I got some, what would be a good kind to get?

@JAR: I have a quad T5 Fixture.... 2 come on at 7am the second set come on at 10:30am. The first set go off at 3:30pm and the second set go off at 7pm. So, each set of two are on for 8.5hrs totaling 12hrs constant light and 5hrs full light. Typing this, i am pretty sure this is too long. I think i might need to change this down to 10hrs.

I like the setup tho, it kind mimics the natural sun a little lol...

I'm using turbo snails, they do a fine job on the blooming diatom-algae; only thing to consider with them is they are excellent bulldozers too...

UPDATE:

Well i just got a HOB protein skimmer and some snails yesterday. The protein skimmer hasn't really developed any skim, but i know it could take up to 72+hrs.

I also, was advised to clean out the HOB filter. So now in the HOB filter I have the sponge, and LR rubble. I might put some poly fiber in today when i get it, to help buffer/fine clean a little more.

Your off to a good start. About the algae............get used to it. You'll be dealing with blooms of different kinds for a long time. It's a daily routine for us to clear algae from our glass. Sometimes, after the main cycling is over and the tank is stabilized, you'll enjoy a week or so of very little algae clean up. Just wait until you get the cyano purple slime algae. :O I prefer hand cleaning with a 3 x 5 pad. My tank is a swim through island and I do use a Petco extension handle to reach the bottom of the back of my tank.

With all that in mind, I suggest you move your live rock a little further away from the glass to make room for a magnet or your hand to pass easily by it. You'll be making enough accidental frags while doing tank maintenance.

Nice aqua-scaping. I like swim-throughs and always see lots of activity in that area in my tank. The larger fish love to erupt in an out of it and it provides a nice habitat for my big old fire shrimp.

@screebo: Thanks for the comments! I have never dealt with this much algae in all my years of freshwater lol. My glass scrubber has plenty of clearance all around the tank, I made sure of it.

Still don't have any skimate lol... since the change I have definitely notice a difference already! It's a good thing. I will keep you guys posted!

Back