Neptune Aquatics

fish shredded by powerhead.. :(

newfly

Supporting Member
Sad say today. My neon dottyback went in the powerhead and got beaten up badly. He is still alive. Hope he will recover. I turn off all the pump to feed the tank. Left for 10mins, and come back to turn on the pump. This is the first time the neon get himself in the powerhead. Its a nano (sicce 2000) with pretty small grill. I didn't expect the fish to get inside. Anyhow turn on the pump and heard this noise like something stuck in the pump. Low and behold, it the neon.

Love this fish. Its been mellow the 6months i have him. Not super aggressive. Hopefully he will survive. He is in the same QT tank with 2 azure. Azure is no match for him when he is his old self, but now i got to watch to make sure the evil azure don't pick on the poor guy.

Last edited:
Man sorry to hear that. I hope he makes it.

I know some power heads like my eco techs move slowly before starting up full strength, I guess to warn any fish too close.

The fish didn’t get too close and get suck in. I think he is in the Powerhead when it’s off.
he seems doing better. Not lying on the side but straight up. Fins and body is bruised all over. Poor thing.

if he survive this and go to the main DT, I’ll have to keep the powerhead on 24/7. I don’t think he will get in when the pump is on. Right now I have the DT powerhead turn off at night. It’s a AC pump, no speed control.

I had a blue hippo tang that also liked to hide in the ecotech Powerhead. This isn’t just for sea anemones it also keeps small fish out. I still can’t believe that the designers of this aren’t smart enough to design a power head where the front isn’t wide open.

They don’t make one for the sicce nano 2000!

Here are some homemade ones people have made.

I had a blue hippo tang that also liked to hide in the ecotech Powerhead. This isn’t just for sea anemones it also keeps small fish out. I still can’t believe that the designers of this aren’t smart enough to design a power head where the front isn’t wide open.
That seems kind of condescending to me. I don’t think the people that made this a stupid. I imagine having the front open, like pretty much all powerheads to some degree, is to allow for maximum flow and shape of said flow.

the people that made the powerhead open. Not the people they made the guard.
Yes. The people that designed one of, if not the best, powerhead in the hobby should be given the benefit of the doubt unless you are an expert in fluid dynamics? (I think that’s maybe the right discipline to understand how the flow works and why the design is the way it is).
just my two cents that the people who designed the vortech pumps probably know what they are doing. You not understanding why they made it the way they did does not show a lack of intelligence on their part, and your comment is unnecessarily condescending and negative in my opinion. It’s fine to not like something, or disagree with a design, but let’s not disrespect people’s intelligence over it when we can easily avoid doing so is my point.

Back