Neptune Aquatics

Flow and gunk accumulation on rocks

newfly

Supporting Member
I have 4ft tank, with 2x Nero 3 and 2x ac powerhead sweeping the bottom. Pump location & aqua scape picture is attached. Nero on mostly random mode, and ac powerhead is always on.

Its a bare bottom, and not much waste accumulate on the bottom, but the amount of gunk stuck on the rocks is amazing. Every 3-4 days, i'll use a power head to blow it all out . Its like a poop storm. The stuff seems to accumulate especially on the top shelf rock.

I think i have plenty of flow for a ~60g tank, more than 3000gph combined which is 50x flow. I can turn the Nero higher, but i don't think its the lack of flow.

Is there a better placement of the pumps? I cannot place the pump on the back wall, as this is an AIO tank, and its a false wall on the back. I don't want to risk rust from external magnet mount.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    7.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_1410.jpg
    IMG_1410.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 125
I agree with JVU, it’s gotta go somewhere. I’ve managed to get most to settle in one spot below my gyre.

You may be able to get more flow going across the rocks if you place the neros to have their path partially collide with the rock, and then the ac powerheads will move it across the bottom.

Do you think the ac powerheads pointing at each other is elevating the detritus from the bottom and sending it to settle on the rock where it gets stuck? Maybe an adjustment there so the detritus that lands on the bottom is pushed to one spot? Like having them on the bottom on the same side, maybe?

In my tank I have a gyre going across the surface and I believe it hits the opposite wall and sends flow back across the bottom, somewhat, and this is why it collects detritus under the gyre.

What exactly is coming out? Detritus? Chunks of food? Not sure? I think new tank is gonna have more dead bacteria and other detritus for awhile and that’s normal.

I agree with JVU, it’s gotta go somewhere. I’ve managed to get most to settle in one spot below my gyre.

You may be able to get more flow going across the rocks if you place the neros to have their path partially collide with the rock, and then the ac powerheads will move it across the bottom.

Do you think the ac powerheads pointing at each other is elevating the detritus from the bottom and sending it to settle on the rock where it gets stuck? Maybe an adjustment there so the detritus that lands on the bottom is pushed to one spot? Like having them on the bottom on the same side, maybe?

In my tank I have a gyre going across the surface and I believe it hits the opposite wall and sends flow back across the bottom, somewhat, and this is why it collects detritus under the gyre.

I move the direction of the Nero, to sort to circulate in a circle, instead of directly opposing each other. I think you might be on to something. The Nero flow clash on the top of the rocks, and that may cause most of the settlement. Now its flowing in a circular motion. Lets see

Same with the bottom ac pump. Now they are circulating in a circle.

personally, youll be constantly changing the position no matter what until you are satisfied. if i were you, i just leave it until you have it somewhat filled up with fish and corals then decide how to position the powerheads once more crap starts to accumulated.

Back