Our mission

Glue for PVC sheets?

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
I want to fool around with some scrap PVC sheets, and I'm curious is there a glue/adhesive/binder for them similar to weldon for acrylic that gives you a really strong bond? I have a feeling OTC PVC cement for pipes won't probably work the same.

Matt, grey white, whatever, well I don't know if it wouldn't work on sheets, I'm simply assuming a bunch of contact area on a pipe vs the force that you can possible put on isn't really there, but who knows I could be wrong (it's happened a couple times in the past :D)

Jeremy, that's what I'm asking :D

Hey Mike,

There is a Weldon product for PVC, but I think you are correct about surface area. I looked at McMaster and saw that they had "L" bracket shapes that I was planning on using for the corners of my design. Barring that, perhaps TAP might have some square bar you can use in the corners. If you want to order from McMasters, tell me and perhaps we can split the shipping.

BTW, where did you get your PVC sheets?

I didn't get any PVC sheets yet, although I see taps plastics has them for a reasonable price (at least their online store, I hope that translates to a walk in store). I'm probably going to go rummage through their scrap bin get a few pieces try to glue them & cut them, then give them a torture test to see if the glue actually is strong.

Weldon #2007 is the stuff, basically it's the active ingredient in PVC cement, just without the artificial snot they add to thicken it up so it's much more concentrated :D

Where did you get the weldon#2007 at Mike? I need a little tiny bit to glue a small piece of PVC pipe to acrylic. I tried weldon 4 and it doesn't stick too well. Did you try to use the PVC glue?

Elite I have a quart of #2007 here in San Ramon if you want a little bit. I had a hell of a time tracking it down. Let me know.

Understandable. I've got it if you need more in the future. It works great for PVC to PVC joints.

some pics of the sulfur dinitrator I am working on.
IMG_3208.jpg

IMG_3216.jpg

Chicken, nice shop! (Well, from what I can see anyway!) I take it that's your garage (from the door hinges in the back!)

Where did you get the PVC sheets?

V

Elite, I buy all my acrylic tube from freckleface.com. They have the best price on the net that I have found for cell cast tube. As for the 2kw heater I have it all plumbed into the 900g water change tank but have not run the 220v circuit over yet for it. Its on the list to do but have just had so many other things to get done. For now I have been using a 1kw heater and it works ok but really want to get the 2kw one done. Thanks!

V, Thanks. I have some more pictures of my shop (a 3 car garage I keep one car in most of the time) I'll dig up and post. As for the PVC sheets I bought them at TAP as I was in a hurry but they are not cheap there. Luckily I did not need much. I am looking around for a better deal right now.

Yeah no kidding Tap is expensive, plus the largest they have is quarter inch. I got this quote from Mr. Plastics in San Leandro , for fully sheets
The cost is as follows:
1/2" $248.75 ea. 4x8
3/4" $353.75 ea. 4x8
1" $465.00 ea. 4x8

which seems to be the cheapest I could find, even counting online prices.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=4395.msg66408#msg66408 date=1227971036]
Yeah no kidding Tap is expensive, plus the largest they have is quarter inch. I got this quote from Mr. Plastics in San Leandro , for fully sheets
The cost is as follows:
1/2" $248.75 ea. 4x8
3/4" $353.75 ea. 4x8
1" $465.00 ea. 4x8

which seems to be the cheapest I could find, even counting online prices.

[/quote]

Holy crap.

Funny how acrylic tube is way more expensive than flat sheets, and for PVC, tubes are a thousand times cheaper than flat sheets.
I guess it's just supply and demand...we use flat acrylic sheets as windows, displays and signs, and round PVC for plumbing.

V

Back