got ethical husbandry?

Hardy Azoox Gorgonians

Are there any hardy azoox gorgonians that would work in my DT.

It’s a 75 gal (approx 100 gal total vol)
Med current
Temp runs about 78
Nitrates do run a little high, 20ppm, but are slowly coming down.
Ca -420 (can raise)
ALK-9.0
Mg- don’t test for - can start using if necessary
PO4-undetectable
Sg-.025 to .027 (will stabilize when ATO installed)
The tank gets fed 1 tbls OF and 1 tbls PF each night and has a thriving pod pop in the fuge. Rather not add more food until the nitrates come down lower....

Any gorgonians work?

-Gregory

Erick said:
I think Cirrhipathes spiralis has been deemed to be "easier" to keep.
And some are photosynthetic and all need to be feed and not on stray LIVE copepods and phyto. Lives pods actually are not a good source of feed in aquaria for most corals given how the tend to break free.

Your feed option will result in the death of any axoox animal. No light means MORE food, not "my tank can't handle it".

I though it might be a long shot with my feeding routine....but I wanted to check just in case. They are such beautiful animals.

-Gregory

Ah sorry, I was talking in general, because spiral coral have larger polyps which means larger food prey, which means easier to feed, which means easier to keep (from what I have read).

Some Cirrhipathes spiralis are supposed take chopped mysis so they would be the "best" choice, but if you are not able to spot feed them they are not going to do good in your tank.

Some Cirrhipathes spiralis are supposed take chopped mysis so they would be the "best" choice, but if you are not able to spot feed them they are not going to do good in your tank.

I can spot feed.....but I was hoping to find something that would be able to subsist on the current feeding routine. NPS gorgonians just seems like possible option. Down the line after the nitrates have been vanquished I'll look ao critters that require additional/spot feeding (dendros, tubastrea, C. spiralis, etc...).
-Gregory

Try a chili coral. I have one and I only spot feed some phyto-feast about every week and it opens up all day; the only thing is it needs to be upside-down.

nudibranch said:
Try a chili coral. I have one and I only spot feed some phyto-feast about every week and it opens up all day; the only thing is it needs to be upside-down.
IMO you should feed a lot more than that, but if it is growing and expanding well who am I to say anything. There generally is no need to mount the chili upside down just like there is no absolute need to mount sun corals in the dark.

Joost_ said:
Some Cirrhipathes spiralis are supposed take choppe
d mysis so they would be the "best" choice, but if you are not able to spot feed them they are not going to do good in your tank.

I fail to see this connection between chopped mysis and that making them the best choice?

I just realized I've been feeding reefs longer then you've been alive... now I feel old :(

GreshamH said:
Joost_ said:
Some Cirrhipathes spiralis are supposed take choppe
d mysis so they would be the "best" choice, but if you are not able to spot feed them they are not going to do good in your tank.

I fail to see this connection between chopped mysis and that making them the best choice?
Spot feeding chopped mysis is a lot less of an hassle then feeding oyster feast, rotifeast etc. half a dozen times a day, or at least IMO, especially since the OP appears not to be able to set up an autofeeder. I suppose I should've said the "beter choice" rather than "best choice"

Joost_ said:
nudibranch said:
IMO you should feed a lot more than that, but if it is growing and expanding well who am I to say anything. There generally is no need to mount the chili upside down just like there is no absolute need to mount sun corals in the dark.
I think the reason its okay with the weekly feeding is my tank has some excess nutrients in the water.

Back