Reef nutrition

High Par for hammers less color?

BleepBloopMunchMunch

Supporting Member
I have some of the sort of standard purple tip green stem hammers and they were always really bright and colorful and showed a clear difference between the stem and tip. In the past month or so they’ve gotten sort of faded in color although they’re still growing. Only difference is they are in much higher par than they used to be, could this be the cause and lowering them would help bring out the color? I’ll try to post some pictures tomorrow after lights on

I would guess that’s right. My hammer and frog spawn were in 350+ and began looking really pale, so I stuck them in the back corners of the tank where it’s a bit less than 300. They are doing really well there with great color and extension. At least that was my issue.

I had a torch getting too much light and it started to get bleach tips. Now that it is in lower light it got the color back.

So I think your hypothesis might be right, so maybe try it lower light

I have some of the sort of standard purple tip green stem hammers and they were always really bright and colorful and showed a clear difference between the stem and tip. In the past month or so they’ve gotten sort of faded in color although they’re still growing. Only difference is they are in much higher par than they used to be, could this be the cause and lowering them would help bring out the color? I’ll try to post some pictures tomorrow after lights on
Sounds like bleaching. Give it less light.

Thanks everybody for the responses, going to move these today, I had sort of noticed it but it was not until going through old photos until I realized how much more colorful they used to be

Back