got ethical husbandry?

HOW-TO MOVE / CRATE A GLASS TANK ?!?!

cdhappy

Supporting Member
Many of you may have seen my recent listing parting with most of my gear. I was tempted to sell the tank too, but things worked out to keep the tank, stand, lights, and new ApexEL.

I’ve got an idea about how to build a crate for the tank, but I’m requesting input from more experienced Reefers. (I know it’s never ideal to move a tank and always preferred to just replace on the other end... though $2-4K on a replacement (and simultaneously upgraded) tank and stand isn’t preferred says my budget... (but I’m impulsive, pretty much like all Reefers [emoji6][emoji41]).

So now, how to get it to Portland in one happy unharmed piece...
I’ll remove the synergy overflow box, bulkheads, and all plumbing so the tank is smooth on all sides and no other factors to contend with.

The tank will be shipped in a POD, along with my other furniture and belongings.

For the crate, I’m thinking about a plywood box screwed together with 2x3’s on the exterior (like an exoskeleton).

On the inside, on all 6 sides of the tank, putting PolyISO type of semi-rigid foam insulation for protection. This is about 1.5-2” think; they sell 4x8 sheets of it a HD.

Do you guys think that’s enough padding?

I question if I should pallet-wrap a soft layer (like moving blankets or an old comforter) to the sides of the tank and the bottom of the tank for a bit of “padding / shock absorption” in addition to the rigid foam inside the crate?

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8156f0acf9d594fd879dd810785e8f6c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re method is good. That’s how I’ve had glass crated and shipped. You could do a blanket around it before the styrofoam but I don’t think it’s necessary.

Back