Cali Kid Corals

I run my lights at night anyone else?

nash

I have alway run the lights at night since it is cooler and I'm home to check things out. anyone else or am I the odd one ???

it also saves on the $$ bill to run things after 7pm right? when I switched my electricity bill was way down. I think it also has to do with heating the tank at night to help your heater out.

Heh... my lights are still on, and I'm looking at the tank right now :D

Well... just one out of the two MH. On the tail end of the lighting cycle now.

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=1834.msg17411#msg17411 date=1173860072]
it also saves on the $$ bill to run things after 7pm right? when I switched my electricity bill was way down. I think it also has to do with heating the tank at night to help your heater out.
[/quote]
Yeah, unfortunately for me I sleep at night, so I don't care about saving electricity, I don't see any point to a tank if I'm not going to see it :) Plus it doesn't get that dark in my fish room during the day, so inhabitants wouldn't appreciate never having darkness.

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=1834.msg17409#msg17409 date=1173859482]
7pm - 3am here.

phong: you only run your lights for 6 hours?
[/quote]
6 Hours MH and 8 hours T5

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=1834.msg17414#msg17414 date=1173876127]
[/quote]
Yeah, unfortunately for me I sleep at night, so I don't care about saving electricity, I don't see any point to a tank if I'm not going to see it :) Plus it doesn't get that dark in my fish room during the day, so inhabitants wouldn't appreciate never having darkness.

[/quote]

IMO you should care about saving electricity as it's production is a major cause of pollution ;) I try to save juice any place I can and do my share for the planet :D Maybe you should buy some carbon credits :lol:

Sorry, it was all a lead up to that carbon credit reference, I hope you got/get it :D

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=1834.msg17422#msg17422 date=1173888828]
[quote author=kinetic link=topic=1834.msg17411#msg1re7411 date=1173860072]
[/quote]

[/quote]

IMO you should care about saving electricity as it's production is a major cause of pollution ;) I try to save juice any place I can and do my share for the planet :D Maybe you should buy some carbon credits :lol:

Sorry, it was all a lead up to that carbon credit reference, I hope you got/get it :D
[/quote]

Nah it's ok, I totally got the reference, even if you use that reference as such I could save even more electricity by not having a tank in the first place! :) More so if I'm never awake when the lights are on :D

[/quote]

[/quote]

I usually get home at 8 or 9pm, so it's perfect for me =) and I usually goto bed when the lights on the tank turn off. It's a sign that it's "way too freakin late, and you're gonna hate yourself in the morning".

[quote author=cwolfus link=topic=1834.msg17425#msg17425 date=1173889811]
So do you all cover your tanks during the day to block light or assume that 4 hours of night is sufficient?

-Charles
[/quote]

When I still had my 32g upstairs, it would basically get 4 hours of complete darkness, then a really long sunrise. Animals were ok, a little more algae but I'm not sure if that was just because of the long sunrise...

On my 120g the lights go on around 2:00p.m and turn off at 10:00 p.m

On the 58g the lights go on at around 6:00 p.m and turn off at 11:00 p.m.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=1834.msg17426#msg17426 date=1173891008]
[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=1834.msg17422#msg17422 date=1173888828]
[quote author=kinetic link=topic=1834.msg17411#msg1re7411 date=1173860072]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Nah it's ok, I totally got the reference, even if you use that reference as such I could save even more electricity by not having a tank in the first place! :) More so if I'm never awake when the lights are on :D

[/quote]

Mine run on hamster wheels with generators hooked up :D Totally off grid :lol:

Yah, it is the one kicker about this hobby. The amount of resources that have to be dropped into it. Collectors use gas boats, middlemen use gas powerred cars, boats & planes, exporters use electrical powerred pumps/lights/etc, the fish fly half way around the world on a jet spewing pollution right into the wrong place, the wholesale uses electricity and gas powerred everything, same with the retailer, AND every one of those uses a friggen plastic bag for the fish. This is not mentioning all the card board and styrofoam thay all use. Then you have the production of all the equipment, most of which is petro based plastic. Glass tanks use a load of natural gas to make. Then you have all the gases and metals (mercury anyone?) in the bulbs and god knows what in the ballasts. I just want to keep corals and fish darn it :(

Back