Jestersix

Installing brand new window

I know there are several GCs on here. Does anyone want to install a new window for my dinning room? The windows will be around 72"x48" or bigger. PM me the estimate if you want to do it. I know it's a small job for some but I can't do it myself :( ..

That's a good sized window... good call not DIY on something that large :D

I want to replace the windows in my house too, but one window is nearly 9 feet long, one guy said they'd install two windows, don't know how I'd like that. But yeah, there's a limit to what even I'll DIY :D

I can replace window even if it's large (just need someone to hold it for me while I screw it in ):D .. Retrofit is pretty easy to install.

This required open up a hole in the wall and install the window. I don't care messing with the kitchen or the floor or even cut the hole in the roof. I don't care if the cabinet or the tile aren't straight but messing with the load bearing wall is the last thing I want to do..

ahh, you need new construction, i guess i need to read it fully first. :bigsmile: retrofits no problem. i can def. supply the window. if you havent bought it yet.

I live in San Jose.. One new construction and I'm going to replace 3 more when I have some $$... I bought one from HD because that window broke and I need to replace that right away.
What brand of window are you guys recommended? One of the window company came to my house and said that Anderson's plastic window is suck. Milgard window is better. The guy at HD said Anderson is one of the best. I'm freaking lost :( ...

i do windows, i do showers and mirrors all that kind of stuff, milgard are ok, anderson is not a bad window either. i carry international window and ply gem window (formerly certainteed). which are good windows also. dont get the cheepos from home depot like the jeld wens, now those do suck.

Yeah Home Depot has the all vinyl windows, not something I want at all. Currently I have aluminum framed windows, so the frame acts like a huge heat sink and just cools off the inside of the house... not to mention single pane glass. Plus I have HUGE openings.. 6 foot, 7 foot, ... 9 foot! A couple places I went too told me I'm better off installing two separate windows in the 9 foot space, which is fine, until they quote me a fricking price!

well vinyls or a lot more energy effecient then the aluminum. and when its cold that aluminum holds in the cold. also the vinyl operate more quietly then the alum... after so long the alum will start grinding together. im sure down the road they will even stop making the double pane alum windows. i do sell the alum though too! :p

Well I'm not too jazzed about the vinyls either, something about poor long term reliability and leaking, especially in areas with direct sun. I'm all about the wooden windows, or aluminum clad wood. I did get a laugh from one guy at a home show that tried to sell the Anderson windows with the "composite" frames... FIBREX! :D

Back