Jestersix

Looking for help to relocate an established tank.

Chrism1330

Supporting Member
Hey guys im looking to purchase one of our members established tanks but im trying to plan out how to successfully do it. Its a Red Sea Reefer 250 has livestock and corals in it already. The livestock in the members tank would not fit in my 24g tank. What are the options I have to successfully get this done? Someone recommended me to get a 40g tank from petco, pour water from the established tank into the 40g, cycle it get it going while i get the tank up and running. The livestock can sit in the 40g and then when the tank is ready i can just acclimate into the new tank. Would anyone be willing to help me complete this process/transfer as well since I would be doing this job alone, as a newbie I dont want to mess this up.

Add a date and time, or range of dates, and people can see if they're free to help.

I have a 60 gallon Rubbermaid stock tub you can borrow but I'm in Dublin so a bit further away. In the temporary holding tank, having enough circulation/aeration and heating will be sufficient for a day or two while you get the other tank set up. Any more than that you'll need to do water changes to keep the water clean. You don't need to fill the whole tub with water from the old tank. 25% is fine and the rest have fresh mixed saltwater. Make sure you blow off all the detritus from the rock before you put them in the holding tank or else the settled gunk may foul up the water.

Using suction cup lifters will make it easier to hold and move the tank. Be extra careful with rimless tank and how you move or set them down. One small bump on a hard surface will chip the tank; this has happened to a lot of people. The club has a couple sets you can borrow

Last edited:
This may help. Here's my equipment checklist for when I'm breaking down a used aquarium.

Truck/Van/SUV big enough to fit aquarium, stand, sump and equipment
Suction cups (borrow from BAR)
Furniture dolly (Maybe a good idea for BAR to have these available with the suction cups?)
Moving blankets
Ratchet straps
Garbage bags
Nitrile disposable gloves
Step stool
Rubber bands
Microfiber cloths
Utility pump attached to hose to drain tank and sump
5g jugs to move old/new water
Bucket head wet/dry vac
5g buckets
Plastic scoop dust pan to scoop out sand
Fish net
Battery power air pump with tubing and air stone
Small 50w/75w heater
Phillips and Flat head screwdrivers
Utility knife / Scissors
Plastic spring clamps

Last edited:
250 holds only 54 gallons? So with rock and sand alot less plus the sump. Whatever the total volume is add extra 10-15 g’s of salt water heated and ready to go at your house using the same salt or NSW that the corals are used to but not super necessary..The rocks and livestock should be 5g buckets/ tubs with lids which will already have extra water. Maybe extra air stones in the fish buckets when u get back to the house while setting up.. Extra water is good to have around especially if you need to scrub the rocks a touch while transferring leaving all that dirty water in the buckets. Bare bottom or sand? Is the sand clean or you adding new sand? Dirty sand will soup up and take a while to clear up before adding livestock unless your real careful in moving the tank not disturbing sand bed but moving the rock will probably stir it up regardless. Sure the large holding tub or large tank for livestock would be helpful and could utilize that water if needed but not necessary. Sometimes people have no room for all that especially in SF. If its bare bottom thats alot easier since you don’t have to wait for everything to settle down can add the fish right away. The rocks already established and ready to roll basically a tank transfer so you should not get the uglies or worry about cycling issues a bonus! People buy existing tanks everyday sounds like your in the right direction..
Congrats on the new tank doubling your size to many enablers here!!!

I know a couple members have those Rubbermaid stock tanks. Set one of those up and move all the livestock to that. Then move and set up the new tank. It's a couple more trips but then you don't have to worry about keeping stuff alive in buckets whole setting up the new system.
Thank you ill be sure to do that! @Srt4eric
I have a Rubbermaid 100 Gallon stock tank if you need to borrow one instead of buy. I’m in San Jose though

Back