Jestersix

LPS Id: Chalice or Australomussa

I got this beauty at Aquatic Collection several months ago while perusing a very large selection of chalice & other LPS. When I bought it I thought it was a chalice, not sure the kind, but recently had Icon over who thought it could be an Australomussa. So out of curiosity I'm asking the experts which of the two it is? FWIW it does have nice sized feeding tentacles, is abou 6" across and as you can see doesn't grow flat like a disk.

You forgot to include that I was very doubtful of my analysis :D Just looked too fleshy to be a regular old chalice

Mycidium is my guess as well. Nearly as positive it's not a Australomussa (as positive as I can be from a photo)

Looks like mycedium to me. BTW, it looks WAY too large for your tank, Bill. Let me know if it ever undergoes surgical reduction. :bigsmile:

Let's compare to this well known mycedium
P1010355.jpg

John, I was thinking that I've got to frag it since it's pretty big, but then I realize it's such a nice piece I don't want to cutt off a section. Maybe a portion of the back, but as of now it's a nice round happy piece that I'll keep that way for a while :D

Ten Four! I feel the same way about the IWSYU mycedium that finally has a nice circular shape. For chalice and mycedium colonys, bigger is better! BTW, GREAT photo and incredible color. Bless those Reef Brites!

After looking at more australo pics, it's definitely not one of those...Good call on the mycedium. Just didn't fit my stereotyped image of a chalice..

Back