Cali Kid Corals

mixing damselfish (Chrysiptera Parasema)

Thinking about having 2 or 3 of each species of Damselfish.
  • Talbot's damselfish
  • Azure damselfish
  • lemon damselfish
What do you guys think?

Personal opinion? Damsels are evil and don't touch. That being said, there are 10 in the FV tank and they seem ok so long as they have their own hiding spaces. They are aggressive so it does somewhat limit your future fish choice too. Introduce them all at once and you have a good chance that they each find their own spot, and they are fine with each other.

I was contemplating having an all damsel tank, but would really need to think about it. If ever changed my mind and wanted to add different fish it would prove to be difficult.

IME, chrysiptera damsels mix well with some of the common dottybacks (I've kept them with orchids and springers) and with 6 line wrasses (would imagine other Pseudocheilinus would be fine too) and pygmy angels. Also think some of the tougher clowns like maroons or tomatoes. My opinion is there are a lot of fish that can mix well with these guys. Another thing most people don't consider, most damsels pair pretty easily if you're careful (as does everything else I mention except the wrasses). To me, this adds another dimension to keeping them - you actually get to see a lot more of their natural behavior. If you get 3 of a species, they will probably pair and you'll probably end up with an outsider that will need to be removed unless you have a big tank. I have not tried keeping multiple species in one tank. I almost did, but thought about how difficult it would be to take everything apart to catch them if it didn't work out.

A couple years back when vacation travel was still a thing, I saw a big display tank in Tokyo that was mostly blue damsels and a couple of yellow tangs in a bunch of rockwork. Really basic, but looked really nice.

Back