Neptune Aquatics

My first sump

I know there are a lot of details when installing a sump and while I think I have most of the details planned out I still have a concern/question or two. I'm using a CPR CS 90 overflow rated at 600gph and a quiet one 3000 (rated at just under 600gph w/ 4ft of head). I was trying to keep the sump simple with out baffles so I can eventually fit my skimmer in there. I have the material for a bubble tower (minus the rock) that i was going to drain the overflow into but thought I'd try it without first. Well I installed everything and fired it up and my tank instantly looked like a jacuzzi :) It appears that my overflow is sucking some serious air using the standard drain so I don't know if that means my pump isn't pushing water up fast enough or if that was normal and I just need to get the bubble tower installed? Thanks in advance!

Your drains is creating bubles and that got sucked into the overflow and magnified the problem. What you want to do is use a filter box inside your sump to keep the bubbles down. Use a filter sock also will help.

I don't like baffle either so my sump got none :D :D

I have mine set up where the incoming water falls into a nylon 300 micron filter sock...it helps reduce some bubbles. You can also play with the little plastic pipe on your cpr overflow. play with the height to raise the water level in the overflow to control the amount of air being sucked in.

Back