Cali Kid Corals

Need help... 75g tank recommendation?

Hi guys, I've had a nano tank Fluval EVO 13.5g for 2 years and wanna upgrade to a 75 gallon tank and hoping to get some advice.
I have been looking around for months, but still have no idea where to get a good tank yet.

My goals:
1. 65 - 75 gallon brand new glass tank (drilled or reef ready)
2. under $800
3. no leak risk (smooth edges, starfire glass).

I was gonna get a Marineland 75g tank with stand from PetSmart since it only costs $500, but I found out a lot of complaints about its leaking issue. Really not wanna take the risk.
So, just checked out Aqueon at Petco. However, the edges are way too sharp and the sealant is like popping out from the joints between the glasses.
Since running out of all the options, I even watched some videos and try to build one. After checking the glass costs, I just gave up on the idea. 48" * 20" * 1/2" $320 for one piece.
Realldy dont wanna endding up spending $1600 on Red Sea all in one.

What brand should I go for? Where can I go and buy the tank? Please, any recommendations? Thank you.

Well you want a lot of "custom" type of options, the edges and starphire, but want to pay low end money. Your only other option might be used.

I’ll echo what they’ve already said and add that the tank itself is actually one of the cheapest parts of the hobby. When you look at the total cost of lights, filtration, livestock, and all the ongoing expenses like salt, electricity and water bills that will increase, dosing supplies, water test kits.... and those are really just the basic requirements. There’s a whole slew of other nonessential things that just make the hobby easier like controllers and monitors. The cost of the tank ends up being less than 10% even when looking at something nice like one of the Red Sea options or even custom options.

There are only two good ways to save money : Quality used equipment, or stick with small tanks.
Buying cheap discount equipment never ends well. It fails, and/or you will replace it later, spending twice.
Note that for large (>120G) tank, used has some risk with silicone seams.

Perhaps consider a 30G tank. A nice bump up in size, but not nearly the expense.

why don't you visit the store in San Jose is AQUA-LAB AQUARIA? this place offers AquaJapan all glass rimless 65g for $700 brand new reef ready. I seen them in person, and they look nice, also they include a glass sump.

BTW, I am not associated in any way to this store or the seller... just found it on CL

00r0r_7URJM2q9cag_600x450.jpg

this is their ad on CL https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/for/d/san-jose-low-iron-reef-aquarium-systems/7021665853.html,

Last edited:
I’ll echo what they’ve already said and add that the tank itself is actually one of the cheapest parts of the hobby. When you look at the total cost of lights, filtration, livestock, and all the ongoing expenses like salt, electricity and water bills that will increase, dosing supplies, water test kits.... and those are really just the basic requirements. There’s a whole slew of other nonessential things that just make the hobby easier like controllers and monitors. The cost of the tank ends up being less than 10% even when looking at something nice like one of the Red Sea options or even custom options.

Thank you. I understand this hobby costs a lot. Depending on what setups and equipment, it could easily go over $10k or more. I am not sure if I want to spend the money on other equipment or just the tank itself., but I don't know. Still doing a lot of thinking. Any brands and models you recommend?

why don't you visit the store in San Jose is AQUA-LAB AQUARIA? this place offers AquaJapan all glass rimless 65g for $700 brand new reef ready. I seen them in person, and they look nice, also they include a glass sump.

BTW, I am not associated in any way to this store or the seller... just found it on CL

View attachment 13048

this is their ad on CL https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/for/d/san-jose-low-iron-reef-aquarium-systems/7021665853.html,

You save my life. Haha. Thank you so much. This is probably what I have been looking for. I am going to the place to check it out tmr.

Back