Reef nutrition

Need some expert opinions on my tank move

seminolecpa

Past President
As some of you may know already, my wife and I are moving from the city about 15-20 miles down the Pennisula to Burlingame thus I need to break down my current 58 gallon primarily SPS tank for the move.

Though I am no rookie to SPS keeping not tank moving, I have not had the investment in livestock that I do now.

My question is nor how to move the tank but rather a which is better scenario.

Option A:

Break down my existing tank removing all of the sand and resetup with the existing tank with all of the liverock and livestock in the same day (saving as much of the current water I can etc.)

or
Option B:

Set up the new tank that I am going to be purchasing a slightly larger 72gal bowfront about 8 days earlier with 20-25 gallons of water from my existing tank and the balance as new saltwater(no sand and using about half of my current live rock). I would also put in a couple of powerheads in for some very basic temporary flow. Then transfer my equipment, livestock and the balance of my live rock to the new tank 8 days later allowing for a brief potential recycle of the new tank. (All of my equipment is way overrated for my current tank).

I know that both pose a potential risk to my livestock. Just trying to figure out which you think would be the lower risk.

Opinions and suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Option A seems to always take longer than you expect, then it's extra stress while you're trying to get everything together.

How about Option B, but have a temporary holding tank or container so that you can take your time moving equipment and setting up rocks and corals the way you like?

Having failed at just about every option I recommend Option C:

Do either A or B but frag your favorites and give to someone nearby with a system you envy. That way when something goes wrong (and it probably will) you can always get a frag back later. For that matter, you may want to consider lending the mother colony to someone else and taking a frag with you for insurance, since your systems are bound to be more unstable than theirs.

BTW, no matter whether you try A or B you are likely to cycle the tank. But, with Option B you may get some of the cycling done before you introduce your prize SPS.

HTH

-Charles

Thanks for your input. That is exactly what I am afraid of with Option A, having done it before. I am way leaning toward Option B.

Do you think I would have a problem with the setup in Option B being to "new" or would the "freshness"' of my live rock prevent that from becoming a problem?

My thought with Option B was that barring a big problem with a elongated cycle or other issues involved with setting up a new tank, the moving of my live rock and corals (if packed properly) would be no different then if I were to buy something from a LFS down south or getting a frag at the swap. The new tank would be pretty bare bones probably a sump, return and a couple of powerheads inside, though it would be plumbed, wired and ready to go with everything from my current tank.

Basically I would want to set it up the new tank on say Friday or Saturday of this week at the new place and move the balance of the live rock, corals and equipment the following Sunday as that is the date I have to be out of my old place.

Can you give me an idea of what type of container you are talking about?

Option B

If you use a fair amount of old water, have no sand in the new tank, and transport your live rocks quickly, you should have little to no cycle in the main tain.

Then, you can make the final move with a lot less stress because the new tank will already be set up to receive your critters and the water parameters should be very similar btween the 2 tanks.

On the day of the final move, you can always set up a temp holding tank (like a rubbermaid) to keep everything warm while you are messing with the placements, etc.

Best of luck,

Roy

Yah, what Roy said.

50% old water should be good. If you can get some of your live rock into your 72, it should be fine, especially if you don't bring over the sand.

Temporary holding tank can be a Rubbermaid tub, spare junky acrylic tank, kiddie pool, plywood box with a pond liner, or anything like that.

Run carbon if you don't have a skimmer up an running on the new tank or the temp tank.

When New Alameda redid their tanks last year, a bunch of their corals and saltwater went into their koi pond for a few days while the tanks were coming back up.

Bryan, from whay I remember you do not have huge sand bed, it was more large coarse gravel and it was relatively thin layer that you had.

Option B

Thanks everyone for confirming my choice. Sounded logical to me but figured I would see what everyone else though just to make sure I wasn't overthinking.

I would try to keep as much water as possible. i have moved my tank from Davis to Marin and then Marin to SF with no losses. Both times I was able to do it all at once keeping all of the old water except the last few gallons of gunk in the bottom of the sump. I moved everything as quickly as possible, but it still takes a full day.

I would set up the new system with 20-30 gallons of water and bring some of your live rock over the week before to try and condition the water a little. Then i would move all of your livestock at once as fast as possible, keeping as much water as possible without worrying about your old hardware. Bascically what everyone else told you.

Let me know if you need any help.

Mark

Back