got ethical husbandry?

Now I need 3 dosing pumps?

Okay... I don’t understand why bulk reef supply pharma dosing system is called a 2-part? It has three jugs which are alkalinity, magnesium and calcium.

I bought 2 dosing pumps because it was called 2-part! Does this mean people who are doing a 2-part really have to have 3 dosing pumps?

Am I missing something here?

Randy

@RandyC thank you....

based on this article and really low consumption day-to-day I use of magnesium (about 14 in whatever trident measures it at) I almost never need to add it.

the 20% water changes keep my magnesium in the range I need. Dang I think I have enough magnesium to last for years!

For the most part I could of satisfied my dosing needs with a baked 7.00 bag of Costco baking soda!

Randy

You can also just put a little mg in your top off instead of a 3 rd pump if and when it’s needed. Depending on salt mix, water change frequency and volume, and consumption you may not need any additional mg. Only one way to find out.

It depends on your goals and projected maintenance plan. Below was my progression.

20190512_161410.jpg

B-Ionic lets you do 2 pumps.

20190812_204426.jpg

When you go to 2 part, you can get a 3rd for magnesium or use water changes to get it to the levels you want. I use IO salt, which is lower mag than I want.

20191019_091410.jpg

Then you can add trace elements for fewer water changes. I went with Red Sea A-B-C-D, but there are a few options out there.

So right now, I run 7 dosing pumps. I am thinking of an 8th for vodka.

You can also just put a little mg in your top off instead of a 3 rd pump if and when it’s needed. Depending on salt mix, water change frequency and volume, and consumption you may not need any additional mg. Only one way to find out.
That’s a good idea. I have the apex system and I can just plot how much water evaporates between water changes. So I will basically be using my auto top off (which I haven’t even setup) as a third high volume dosing pump. Brilliant!

Also keep in mind that unlike other more complete 2 (or 3) part solutions out there I think the BRS ones are pure Alk/Ca/Mg and don’t contain the other dozens of minor and trace elements also used by coral. A lot of people figure that water changes with a good salt will supplement the rest, but this assumes you do old school larger and regular water changes.

”2-part" is a commonly used term that dates back a few years to when everyone was dosing 2 parts, and now it more generically means Alk/Ca/Mg/Minor/Trace dosing with liquid solutions as opposed to the other ways of supplying those elements. That’s why people call it 2-part even when there are more than 2 parts.

It depends on your goals and projected maintenance plan. Below was my progression.

View attachment 26549

B-Ionic lets you do 2 pumps.

View attachment 26550

When you go to 2 part, you can get a 3rd for magnesium or use water changes to get it to the levels you want. I use IO salt, which is lower mag than I want.

View attachment 26551

Then you can add trace elements for fewer water changes. I went with Red Sea A-B-C-D, but there are a few options out there.

So right now, I run 7 dosing pumps. I am thinking of an 8th for vodka.

So I am for sure in the first phase of your setup. I did want to mention that I also used to use instant ocean original.

I found the magnesium content of IO to be very low. I calculated the amount of money it would take in supplements to bring it up to where it needed to be. In the end if you calculate it you will add about $6.00-$8.00 in magnesium cost per 15-20 gallons of water. This adds up and eventually you will arrive at the point that you’re better off just buying a salt that has a higher magnesium content.

I switched to Red Sea blue top so even though it costs more upfront I save on what I need to add to it. The other thing is instant ocean you have to use way more of it to get the same salinity you get with Red Sea

check out BRS true salt cost video. With this said no way I’m paying for tropic Marin. It’s almost 2x the cost of Red Sea for the same numbers . I don’t care if it’s pharmaceutical grade. My fish didn’t go to medical school so I don’t think they will notice .

Also keep in mind that unlike other more complete 2 (or 3) part solutions out there I think the BRS ones are pure Alk/Ca/Mg and don’t contain the other dozens of minor and trace elements also used by coral. A lot of people figure that water changes with a good salt will supplement the rest, but this assumes you do old school larger and regular water changes.

”2-part" is a commonly used term that dates back a few years to when everyone was dosing 2 parts, and now it more generically means Alk/Ca/Mg/Minor/Trace dosing with liquid solutions as opposed to the other ways of supplying those elements. That’s why people call it 2-part even when there are more than 2 parts.

In my instance right now I find that 20% water changes because it’s only 60 gallons including the filter suffice for the other trace elements. I do 20% once a week.

The brs kit is nothing more than soda ash, two types of magnesium and calcium chloride.

This is my first go around at dosing. I think next time around I’ll just buy the cheapest raw chemicals I can buy as long as they are pure.

The brs kit is nothing more than soda ash, two types of magnesium and calcium chloride.

This is my first go around at dosing. I think next time around I’ll just buy the cheapest raw chemicals I can buy as long as they are pure.
After all these years (13+), I still use baked baking soda (Arm & Hammer), CVS Epsom salts, and MgCl2, CaCl2 from BRS. But then again, I also use an abacus. ;)

Back