Neptune Aquatics

P/N question...

I probably would normally agree, but when you have only have two fish in a 50 gallon tank, I think feeding more to compensate for lack of fish poo will lead to other unwanted problems in this situation.
Like what? Raise the N and P and potentially promote algae? He’s trying to raise N and P. Potentially promoting algae is the worry regardless of how N, P, and organics are raised.

There isn’t anything special about fish poo that makes it better than fish food eaten by something other than fish, for raising nutrients. Obviously I’m not saying he should recklessly dump in a ton of food. Just that you don’t have to add more fish to feed more if feeding more is the goal.

Tang is iffy in that size tank. Some less of a bad fit than others. I would likely rethink that one.
Yup... but they great work and peaceful citizens, i try to get them small... when they get big i rehome them plus i have more than ×100 flow / tank size, hope it helps or update to bigger tank size

Like what? Raise the N and P and potentially promote algae? He’s trying to raise N and P. Potentially promoting algae is the worry regardless of how N, P, and organics are raised.

There isn’t anything special about fish poo that makes it better than fish food eaten by something other than fish, for raising nutrients. Obviously I’m not saying he should recklessly dump in a ton of food. Just that you don’t have to add more fish to feed more if feeding more is the goal.

It would really depend on what is being fed, but something has to eat that food so you might have an explosion of something you don't really want besides algae. Perhaps maybe vermatids, feather dusters, asterina stars, bristleworms, etc.

@Dongta408 Any updates?
Did raising your N/P help with coloration?
Did you get any negative effects from raising N/P?
I'm asking bc I'm trying to do the same thing with feeding more and skimming less.
Thanks.

Back