got ethical husbandry?

Powers Out Help Thread

Hey. If your powers out and you didn’t plan. I can let you borrow a battery powered air pump and a small power inverter that will plug into your cigarette lighter it’s 300w max. I’m in San Francisco. Let me know.

I have a battery air pump in Dublin. Also have a 2000w gas/propane generator but caveat is that it gets returned immediately in the event my power goes out. Unlikely since power lines are underground here.

Prep for the night . Hoping power will come on soon.

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpeg
    IMG_0162.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 56
Reviving this thread with the bad weather coming up the next few days. I have two of the River 2 Max Battery Portable Power Stations 512Wh in San Jose. I purchased two, one to run my Max E 170 reef and the other for a freshwater tank I have. The freshwater tank is lightly stocked and will be ok with a battery bubbler if anyone loses power and is in need to borrow one of the power stations.

Attachments

• IMG_6538.jpeg
    IMG_6538.jpeg
    16.7 KB · Views: 35
When I saw the stormy weather forecast I set my powerwalls to 100% backup. We haven’t lost power but hopefully will be ready for it if we do.

When I saw the stormy weather forecast I set my powerwalls to 100% backup. We haven’t lost power but hopefully will be ready for it if we do.
Have you ever had storm watch kick in?

@BAYMAC You can modulate the minimum storage level in the battery via the app that controls it.

I’m thinking of getting a 2kwh battery for backup. Goal is to provide 24hrs heat and flow. Tank is 65g. I have 2 x200w heater, but don’t know how to estimate total power used in a day. Flow power draw is minimal.

Any thought if this will work? eBay have refurbished Ecoflow delta max 2kwh (not lithium phosphate) for sale for ard $700. For my need 800 charge cycle is plenty.

I’m thinking of getting a 2kwh battery for backup. Goal is to provide 24hrs heat and flow. Tank is 65g. I have 2 x200w heater, but don’t know how to estimate total power used in a day. Flow power draw is minimal.

Any thought if this will work? eBay have refurbished Ecoflow delta max 2kwh (not lithium phosphate) for sale for ard $700. For my need 800 charge cycle is plenty.
What I was told was take the battery size and multiply it by 0.85. That’ll give you what you can really use. So for you 2048Wh * 0.85= 1740.80Wh. Then divide it by what you have plugged in. You mentioned the two 200W heaters, assuming they were both consistently on drawing 200W each (they won’t) and using 400W. 1740.80 / 400= 4.352hrs. So you’d be able to get about 4hrs 20min with those heaters drawing in their full power. Heaters use up a ton of power, I would just keep pumps on and if your house is cold, maybe just plug in one of the heaters to extend your time.

What I was told was take the battery size and multiply it by 0.85. That’ll give you what you can really use. So for you 2048Wh * 0.85= 1740.80Wh. Then divide it by what you have plugged in. You mentioned the two 200W heaters, assuming they were both consistently on drawing 200W each (they won’t) and using 400W. 1740.80 / 400= 4.352hrs. So you’d be able to get about 4hrs 20min with those heaters drawing in their full power. Heaters use up a ton of power, I would just keep pumps on and if your house is cold, maybe just plug in one of the heaters to extend your time.
Ops, didn’t read your comment fully. Yes, your assumption is correct. Now is 4.3hours of heater on time sufficient for 12 hours/24 hours? In the middle of winter , without heat the ambient temp in the living room can get to low 60s.

I suspect heater is not going to be on the entire night. It will likely cycle on/off . Am I off?
Yeah they won’t be drawing the 200W each consistently, only when they cycle on. But not sure how you would do the math to calculate usage for that since it really depends on the temps in your home. My 45Gal I only run a 100W heater since it’s normally pretty warm in here.

Regarding battery backups and power needs, keep in mind when doing that calc that you have to account for the house being cold. Your heaters can certainly keep the tank warm at normal temps, likely running occasionally. Can they keep your tank warm when the house drops to 60° or below because your house heat is off? They certainly will likely be running all out if they are.

Not much to do about that, outside of having blankets that you can toss on the tank during the outage. Just make sure to unplug the lights so when the power comes back on the blankets don't start a fire. Also make sure to keep any covers away from the water, so they don't wick water out of the tank.

I feel for a prolonged outage the only realistic options are a generator or an electric vehicle that you can power outlets from (V2L).

realistically heating is gonna be extremely difficult with a small battery pack. 400 watts x 24hours. That’s 9.6 kWh. That’s a lot. It’s probably gonna be less because it’s intermittent but to make the math simple. Or cut the number in half. Probably better off thinking about water flow like a return pump running then try to heat your aquarium with the water bottle trick.

Back