Our mission

Raddogz' tank diary

Well rather than appending to the last hair algae disaster thread <you can find the thread here http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/index.php?topic=2126.msg20986#msg20986> I decided to just start a tank diary thread.

I put in my order for the fancy Eheim needlewheel impeller and volute from ER for an Eheim 1262 pump. The modded pump will be installed on an ER 8-2 (I still haven't decided to turn the skimmer into a recirculating skimmer or not).

I also put in my pre-order for the Vortech wireless controller. The controller is $100.00 with a pending rebate of $50.00 once you return the old driver back to them.

Tank update

The impeller and volute arrived yesterday, after I received an email from Quantum View reflecting a 8/22 delivery date....okay. I guess beggers can't be choosers when it comes to getting things delivered. ???

Well, does anyone need 3/4" Uniseals? I thought I gave away Uniseals (3/4" and 1/2" inlet size) only to find out I had them all along - sorry David, so I bought two more.

Back to the skimmer - I installed the impeller and volute without much problem although getting that bottom rubber bushing thing was a pain - the one at the bottom of the impeller housing that fits on the end of the ceramic shaft. Long story made short attached the pump to the skimmer and it fit like it was supposed to fit, except for the bottom which has that suction cup holder plate --- grrrr...it won't come off. Not only will it not come off it's making the skimmer tip to one side. TA DA - BAR frag container lid to the rescue as it acted as a shim for the skimmer body. ;D

Now for the leaky skimmer part - I decided to buy EPDM (no, I have no idea what it stands for but apparently it is reef safe) rubber window/door sealant to help seal the skimmer cup against the union fitting. A new o-ring did nothing except stand out like a sore thumb as replacement because it went from a cool black o-ring to a Tide box orange-colored o-ring. Anyway the sealant acts more like a gasket to help seal the skimmer cup against the skimmer body. >:(

I fired up the skimmer --> a billion thick tiny bubbles and pulling in way more air. ;D

Bad news => it still leaks - BOOOOOOOOOOO >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Good news => after I shimmed with the container lid and tightened it down a little bit the leaking stopped - WooHoo ;D ;D 8) 8)

I'm waiting for the skimmer to settle down before I start adjusting.

My ER leaks too.. If I don't tight the union, it leaks very little or none.. Weird but it's a good thing because I don't have to unscrew when I need to empty the cup ;D ..

Well, after messing with the union after I thought I fixed it, it still leaks like a sieve.

I guess beggers can't be choosers. The skimmer is still collecting quite a bit of crap, and I am getting close to half a cup a day (it's still settling in) of skimmate. I guess I can deal with the leak, if it's still performing better due to the pump and impeller upgrade. The foam is crazy on that thing.

I have some silicone which came with my ER if you want it... but I am guessing that's not the root of the issue.. are the union faces not flat? or is the o-ring jumping out of the groove for it or something? or the lock is applying un-even force when closing?

Thanks but I don't think that's the problem. :D

I have already replaced the o-ring and it leaked as much as it does now. I decided to install epdm rubber to act as gasket material, it worked for all of a day. Take the union apart was ridiculous as the gasket got all twisted on the union's threads.

There is a slight (and I mean slight) groove from o-ring on the bottom of the union, but I find ridiculous that it would leak as much as it does. ER wanted $50.00 just to look at it minus shipping and parts to fix...um I can deal with the leak if I get better performance at the end.

Update -

So as you may have read I using the current o-ring for the skimmer and I can deal with a little leak. The sump's water level apparently keeps the leak under control e.g. if the water level is a bit higher the union leaks all over the place.

The skimmer has been producing lots and lots of skimmate regardless of the leaking.
Water looks clearer and clearer every day.

The tank tour was great (Sept 15), had a ton of people come over. It was nice meeting everyone. I was talking to few people (thanks Ian) about ro/di and the fact that it wastes a boatload of water which is so not so sitting well with me. I have decided to experiment and use plain ole tap with Prime to do water changes and see how it goes. So far no ill effects, but with only one single water change per tank it's a little too early to tell. TDS in San Francisco is normally between 35 and 45 at least where I live which I hear is relatively good. I do usually test the water with a tds meter before filling the garbage can up. I am still using ro/di for the automatic top-offs though for both tanks.

Well, I upgraded lighting a week ago on just one side of the 120g tank and ... I like it. I went from 250w 12K Reeflux to 400w 14K Ushio. What a difference! I will add another 400w IceCap ballast to the other side as $$$ allow. I must say I was not expecting the 14k Ushio to be so white compared to the 12K Reeflux, it certainly takes some time to get used to. I'll probably be changing bulbs one for growth and one for color as time and money allows (14k Ushio for growth and maybe 14k Aqua Connects for color).

As to why the change you may ask - I like the openess and more importantly the flow as the tank is not packed with rock. The tank is probably only a third ful of rock if that at all. I didn't feel that the bottom of the tank was getting the kind of lighting intensity I wanted. I know I used to get pretty good growth and color what the rocks were placed up higher, but the overall aquascape and flow sucked.

Back