High Tide Aquatics

Recommendation for a reasonably priced electrician? East Bay / Walnut Creek

Alexander1312

Supporting Member
I got a curveball today because I thought I had someone who could add an electrical outlet next to where my new tank will be located.

I had a highly recommended electrician from an East Bay company coming to my house earlier this week for an estimate. He confirmed that this would be very easy, 1-2 hours of work, as the outlet just had to be connected to an existing outlet on the other side of the wall, some minor drilling, etc. He still quoted verbally between 300 and 400 USD, which sounded high to me, but I still wanted it to get done.

However, this afternoon, his back office quoted closer to 800 USD for this, which I felt was unacceptable, so I am back to square one and I do not want to put the tank on the opposite side of the hallway as this would possibly prevent us from enjoying it from all three viewing angles.

Therefore, if anyone knows someone who can do this, please let me know. Thank you!

I got a curveball today because I thought I had someone who could add an electrical outlet next to where my new tank will be located.

I had a highly recommended electrician from an East Bay company coming to my house earlier this week for an estimate. He confirmed that this would be very easy, 1-2 hours of work, as the outlet just had to be connected to an existing outlet on the other side of the wall, some minor drilling, etc. He still quoted verbally between 300 and 400 USD, which sounded high to me, but I still wanted it to get done.

However, this afternoon, his back office quoted closer to 800 USD for this, which I felt was unacceptable, so I am back to square one and I do not want to put the tank on the opposite side of the hallway as this would possibly prevent us from enjoying it from all three viewing angles.

Therefore, if anyone knows someone who can do this, please let me know. Thank you!

Not sure how the back office can quote 2x the verbal? But at least you can still find them -my mom in Rochester,NY can’t find any at all.
Still ugh. Besides my commentary-I can’t offer a recommendation-my understanding is the last person we used no longer works directly with customers (only sub-contracting) -hopefully someone knows someone local. Where are you located exactly?

Is the existing outlet directly on the other side of the wall? It's pretty easy to add a new box and branch off the existing one if u don't need to run wire laterally through studs.

Not sure how the back office can quote 2x the verbal? But at least you can still find them -my mom in Rochester,NY can’t find any at all.
Still ugh. Besides my commentary-I can’t offer a recommendation-my understanding is the last person we used no longer works directly with customers (only sub-contracting) -hopefully someone knows someone local. Where are you located exactly?

Thanks. Yes, I did not need one for some time, probably the new normal. I live in Walnut Creek.

Is the existing outlet directly on the other side of the wall? It's pretty easy to add a new box and branch off the existing one if u don't need to run wire laterally through studs.

Yes, correct. This wall in the hallway is the wall to the kid's bedroom, and the box is precisely on the opposite side. What you are describing is exactly what they were planning to do.

Alternative option, of borderline questionable'ness, while running AC power cords through a wall isn't to code, my understanding is you can run DC through a wall without special hassle. If you have space in the bedroom, you could put your electrical equipment in there and feed all the DC through the wall. I'd personally run in through a pipe for easy feeding, or one of those AV, hidden wires in wall, kits. Those AV kits usually also have an AC jack.

That also gives you the future option of putting some water reservoirs in the other room.

Back