Cali Kid Corals

Regal angel in a mixed reef tank?

IOnceWasLegend

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
I know little about angelfish, but I've been looking into them as a potential stock addition for our upcoming large tank. I've heard better things about these angels re: their appetite for corals than some other species, but I know no angel is truly reef safe.

I just wanted to get some of you all's opinions/experiences on trying to keep one in a mixed reef tank (primarily euphyllia, goniopora, favia, and acropora/montis), and if this ranks more on the 'fool's errand' side of the scale than 'with caution.'

I spent $460 on a Biota regal angel. It was less than 1" , died within 2 weeks in a tank by itself.

I would try again but would get from high tide.

Great thread, planning to pick up a Red Sea CB Regal and toss into the 150g mixed reef.

Had a indo regal a while back had for about 3 years in a mixed reef not many issues except ate all sponges, thankfully only a couple zoa (rasta / sunny d) here and there so it was more population control if anything. Ended up rehoming when we did a reset on the tank so planning to try it out again!

Never touched SPS, Euphyllia.

I didn’t know regals were that temperamental. What would you say are steps for best success then?

One person said add first to avoid food aggression. Are there foods that tend to work well (other than sponges) to ensure they will eat? Do CB specimens fair any better than WC? Do they prefer rocks to hide in?

Back