Jestersix

Return Pump Died

NickRoseSN1985

Supporting Member
So the return pump (Mag 9.5)on my main tank died. I was looking at the tank and the return pump turned off when it shouldn't have. Took it out and it felt hot. Inspected it/cleaned it and put it back. It turned on but was making noise. Took it out and brought it downstairs to test in a bucket of water and it tripped the GFCI. Right now I took the Mag 9.5 off of the AquaC EV180 skimmer and have it in my Main Tank until I get a new return pump.

Here is the big question. Do I buy another Mag 9.5. Before this one died I was running 3(Main Tank/Garage Tank/AquaC EV180skimmer) or get something new? The Mag 9.5 is actually quiet. Before I was writing this post I was looking at either Mag 9.5, Syncra "Silent" Pump Model 4.0 (952 gph) 12.6 ft. Head - Sicce, Syncra SDC 3.0 WIFI Return Pump (260 - 800 gph) - Sicce, Syncra SDC 6.0 WIFI Return Pump (530 - 1450 gph) - Sicce. Don't want to spend more then what the SDC 6.0 is.

@robert4025 Is Neptune doing any special deals with any of these pumps I mentioned?

Last edited:
I’ll search the garage some tomorrow and see if I have a 9.5. It’s yours off I do and you want it
That would be great if you have one. I’ll be relooking at the pump tomorrow. Someone on humblefish mentioned, “Look at the front cover. Sometimes the hole where the impeller goes gets worn out and the shaft runs wobbly.”

I asked if this could cause the GFCI to trip and they said, “If the impeller is seizing, maybe. Gfci are picky, and will trip over "nothing" quite often. An example is a treadmill will often be an issue because they use brushed DC motors.”

Haha - I am #3 for loving Mag drive pumps and AquaC skimmers. Workhorses all! Have spare parts for the Mags and think there isn't really anything that can go wrong with the EVs except crazing and cracking of the column (which I fear now). Assumed I was the only one. ;)

Back