got ethical husbandry?

So what exactly is a reef-safe wrasse?

sfsuphysics

Supporting Member
I've seen various sites list Wrasses then Reef-safe wrasses, and I'm curious what exactly makes them "reef safe". The only thing I can immediately see is that their size tends to stay smaller, so maybe can't eat certain inverts? Surely wrasses aren't coral eaters anyways.

Mostly means that they don't eat your corals...

There are bigger wrasses out there that consume corals, clams and other invertebrates, etc. (e.g. broomtail wrasse).

Oh ok, reef safe is such a broadly tossed around term, just wanted to make sure. The flashers or fairy types are definitely catching my eye, but I don't want those uber deep or expensive versions (Sorry Chris :D)

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=3123.msg34000#msg34000 date=1203182863]
Oh ok, reef safe is such a broadly tossed around term, just wanted to make sure. The flashers or fairy types are definitely catching my eye, but I don't want those uber deep or expensive versions (Sorry Chris :D)

[/quote]Whatever you cheap bastid. Reef safe wrasse to me means it's not going to chomp your shrimp/snails, I would place fairies, and flashers in that group. IME flashers are not the easiest to keep long term. They tend to get bullied and need a lot of food, kinda like Anthias. The good old Solar wrasse, now there's a fish, tough pretty, mellow.

Groovy Jeremy, I'm not looking to buy any fish in the short term, but like to keep brainstorming for the future. Thanks for the heads up on the flashers though, I really don't want any fish I need (or should) feed multiple times a day.

Back