High Tide Aquatics

SPS bleaching - AEFW or something else?

GrumpyDave

Supporting Member
I quarantined and dipped the frags that I got at the swap. After 4 weeks in the QT, everything looked great, so I put them in the main tank. Now some of my SPS corals (new frags and older colonies) are getting some slow bleaching / tissue loss. The affected areas get a grey mold like fuzz on them - tiny, tiny black spots...

I can't seem to find any information about the fuzz - is it just cyano or algae growing next to the dead spots, or is the fuzz part of what's causing the problem?

Here is a photo of a 3/8 inch piece of Laptastrea from the swap. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!!

dave

328_12_04_07_12_01_42.jpg

Hi,

It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but it really doesn't look like "bleaching" from what I see. Especially since you say old pieces are now being affected. They would have shown signs when first added, not after they were acclimated. Let's hope it's not WBD or BBD. I had a case of WBD (or white plague) on my monti and there was nothing I could do except remove it from the tank. If at all possible I'd probably suggest removing the "infected" pieces until you know for sure.

-D

Back