Jestersix

Stand Ideas for Glass Corner 92?

I've wanted to upgrade my corner 54 gallon to a 92 gallon tank almost since I first started my reef tank. There's a 92 gallon with overflow available on craigslist for a reasonable price, but it doesn't come with a stand. Building a stand is probably beyond my abilities and certainly beyond my wood working tools (I am not my father--I won't treat this as a reason to buy more tools :)).

Any affordable ideas on what I could use for stand? I wonder if I am perhaps imagining that building a stand is unrealistic. I would imagine that any stand I design would be grossly over engineered because I am not really sure what would suffice.

I figured it was worth asking before ruling out buying "just a tank".

I was just curious - no stand building experience myself - but there are some detailed plans for DIY stands (some rounded, some angled) on RC and a general Google search. Interesting tank!

My wife had a great idea. Get a top made by a granite counter top place and mount that on relatively simple box with a 3/4 inch plywood top. Investigating this option.

I don't think I'd trust granite as a structural part of the stand. If anything the stand will have to be stronger to support the heavy granite top.

I don't think I'd trust granite as a structural part of the stand. If anything the stand will have to be stronger to support the heavy granite top.

Right. The granite is mostly decorative and a nice material to make the long curve for the front. The plywood and wood box provides almost all the structural support. The box would be triangular with open front and a centre brace.

I think the granite, while it looks good, will add unnecessary weight to an already very heavy load.

Why stress the stand with an additional 50-60 lbs?

Have you checked with any of the lfs to see how much they can get a stand built for?

Back