Reef nutrition

The 225 Gal Monster

The easiest way to tell if its Dino is to blast it. If it breaks apart into a cloud, it's probably diatoms. If it comes off like snot and hold together, probably Dino.
Found an old microscope from when I was a kid. Cleaned up the lenses and turrets and worked good enough.

Confirmed I have Large cell and maybe also prorocentrum dinos all over my sand bed.

My phos tested at 0.10 today so my GFO reactor dropped it by 0.1 in about 24hrs. Putting a timer on my reactor and will run it for 6 hrs a day for now and monitor phos daily. To see where it maintains at and adjust from there.

Nitrate still stable at 8.0.

Interesting thing though is I had some older packets of Hanna Nitrate reagent from a different batch than my current and used that first and got 6.1. Makes me question the consistency between reagent batches. Not a huge issue as you'll just be testing off the same batch for awhile but good to know for when running out of reagent. I'll be sure to keep one last packet of reagent and compare it to new batch from now on.

Last edited:
Been a bit since I've tested. Dinos are pretty much all gone now from what I can tell visually. I haven't checked under a microscope again but I have cyano everywhere and am siphoning out half of the tank when it gets too heavy then the other half a few days later. It's not coming back as fast as a few days ago so I'm going to just keep it cruising along. Been dosing MB7 as I think about it. I got 2 jars of tisbe pods today along with some phyto from Algae Barn. It took longer than usual to ship as I wanted the tisbe pods and test them under a microscope to see if they do eat dinos as stated from a few sources.

20230126_183844.jpg

Last edited:
Been a bit since I've tested. Dinos are pretty much all gone now from what I can tell visually. I haven't checked under a microscope again but I have cyano everywhere and am siphoning out half of the tank when it gets too heavy then the other half a few days later. It's not coming back as fast as a few days ago so I'm going to just keep it cruising along. Been dosing MB7 as I think about it. I got 2 jars of tisbe pods today along with some phyto from Algae Barn. It took longer than usual to ship as I wanted the tisbe pods and test them under a microscope to see if they do eat dinos as stated from a few sources.

View attachment 45018
Looking good Arvin! Still working to bring my Phosphates down! Thanks for all your help so far!

Added a couple arches for more room for SPS. I'll try and post close ups later today. My yellow tang has started showing red/brown spotting on it's tail and around it's tangs. At the start it was hiding in the back bottom of the tank and over the last few days has been starting to come out and swim around again so I'm hoping that is positive signs. I've been adding focus+kanaplex to my feedings once a day.
1000016849.jpg
1000016848.jpg

Back