Our mission

The Mangrove Seahorse Hitching Post

Nice job sir! I was hopeful that the freeze dried experiment would be successful! I've been using the Smarter Reefs Reefcicle system for feedings during the day but a non-perishable system would be much preferred!

Someone gave me a new food to try today. It’s mysis shrimp in a liquid suspension that’s shelf stable until opened and needs refrigeration after opening. This is exactly what I want for my mini fridge automated feeder! Tried it this morning and at least some of the seahorses at it right away. They didn’t like the mysis feast, maybe some sort of smell from whatever they use for preservation in mysis feast? I like that it is made with PE mysis, the new stuff is smaller pieces, but I can now feed 2-3 times a day without doing anything!

Attachments

• IMG_0770.png
    IMG_0770.png
    97.2 KB · Views: 18
Nice! How is it in terms of fouling the water with that liquid suspension?

I've gotten mine to be on a 100% freeze dried mysis diet. The problem is it takes a long time for them to soak to the point where they don't float anymore. During that time it leeches off a lot of discoloration. When I try feeding it to them while they're still floating on the surface, the seahorses sometimes swallow too much air and have issues with their buoyancy for a couple hours.

I've gotten mine to be on a 100% freeze dried mysis diet. The problem is it takes a long time for them to soak to the point where they don't float anymore. During that time it leeches off a lot of discoloration. When I try feeding it to them while they're still floating on the surface, the seahorses sometimes swallow too much air and have issues with their buoyancy for a couple hours.
Have you tried the vacuum container trick to rehydrate?

Seemed pretty clean to me

Have you tried the vacuum container trick to rehydrate?
Yup tested and works using a regular syringe too. Problem is I can't auto feed that way, which is what I'm trying to solve.

Maybe I feed this way daily and when I'm out of town and using an auto-feeder, run carbon to absorb all the discoloration that leeches off.

Someone gave me a new food to try today. It’s mysis shrimp in a liquid suspension that’s shelf stable until opened and needs refrigeration after opening. This is exactly what I want for my mini fridge automated feeder! Tried it this morning and at least some of the seahorses at it right away. They didn’t like the mysis feast, maybe some sort of smell from whatever they use for preservation in mysis feast? I like that it is made with PE mysis, the new stuff is smaller pieces, but I can now feed 2-3 times a day without doing anything!

I've always encouraged people to let it sit in tank water for a little bit first. The preservatives are just acids. What keeps it in suspension are just carbon sources for your tank.

I've always encouraged people to let it sit in tank water for a little bit first. The preservatives are just acids. What keeps it in suspension are just carbon sources for your tank.
I did not try that, but also it wouldn’t work for my use case since I’m trying to have a dosing pump in a mini fridge pump it straight into the tank. Good to know tho and makes sense some of that could be rinsed off. Thanks!

Back