Our mission

Tropic Marin Recalls ‘Turkish Blend’ of Pro-Reef Salt Mix :(

I just checked and my last 2 buckets of TM Reef Pro were from the Turkey facility. And here’s my latest ICP test. I don’t think anything’s off. K is a little high and Iodine/phosphate is low (because I’ve been over & under-dosing as I suspected). I’m not seeing any suspicious crud in my mixing container. Hope this is helpful.
5973D05F-79BC-4E84-B87A-4D42F1177CF6.jpeg

Attachments

• TestL336188159_Results.pdf
    14.7 KB · Views: 161
Reactions: JVU
I am seeing a bunch of brown crud in my All for reef. I took it off the system.

Suspicious I had issues with my tenuis when I started with all for reef and tropic Marin salt.

Not a direct connection but enough for me to stop

With Tropic Marin Turkey plant pausing production, I think I will pause using my batch from that plant. Just to be on the safe side.

TM Team "We are working on implementing a plan with your retailers, and our distributors, to address the replacement of affected product and will provide updates as soon as practicable."

BRS told me just to email them my order number, a picture of the box and wait until TM figures out how to handle this recall.

The PITA solution, ICP test your salt box to see what it is lacking and dose appropriately.

Spending $50 to test a box of salt seems overkill, I might switch to another salt that matches alk in the meantime. I know changing salt is bad, but I see perks to using a salt that is readily available like IO.

Most salt brands have had their fair share of bad batches. Hopefully Tropic Marin can manage to come out of this unfortunate problem and rebuild their trust with their customers. Tons of bad talk on R2R and IG about them. With social media nowadays word of mouth travels fast.

Personally I think their salt is still top notch, just too expensive for my needs. I wish them the best.

They said if you received TM salt manufactured in Turkey after April, and it’s unopened, you can return it with free shipping to BRS for a refund. But also advised to wait for TM’s resolution expected in the next week since it may not require having to ship anything back.

I have never used their salt before but after their response to this situation, I am more likely to try it. I don't have a LFS that even keeps an inventory of salt, much less quality products. If I have to order online, might as well get something good.

Back