Jestersix

Vortech and water clarity question

For those that run Vortechs or any other wave maker with a controller such as Apex, do you allow the Apex to shut off the wave makers to feed or do you use the feed mode that is built into the wave makers? I ask because I have heard that constantly having hard shut downs may pose issues.

In terms of water clarity, I constantly have particles in the water even though I am running filter (actually nylon rather than felt) socks. I also have a coarse pad after fuge which came with my sump. Despite that, there are constant particles in the water and I'm pretty sure they are not micro bubbles. How is everyone else's water clarity and what are you doing to keep it clear?

when i feed the tank, i only set apex to shut off my return for 30 mins. my mp40wqd are never off unless i need to switch out the wet sides - reefcrest 80%.

as for clarity, youll have some detrius floating around from the current. i only have some filter floss in my sump and can never have any real clarity without something in the water column. it doesnt bother me as long as the inhabitants are doing okay.

I still use my MP40s with the WXM module.

During feeding time I turn the return down way low ... essentially enough for it to have the bare minimum going.
The MP40s I turn down to Nutrient transport mode @ like 5% using a profile. Then after the 5 minutes I run the Nutrient Transport mode up to 45% for another 45 minutes.
After that things go back to normal (Reef Crest)

Code:
If FeedA 045 Then FeedExport
If FeedA 000 Then FeedBFlow

Last edited:
Back