Jestersix

Water parameters- Mg from 1300 to 1100

newfly

Supporting Member
Well, looks like my coral is showing some growth, and start consuming Alk,Ca and Mg. I did not expect to get to this stage that soon.
I started manually dosing Ca and Alk (CarboCalcium). I have been lax in measuring all parameters and only keeping a close eye on Alk and Ca.

Mg is 1100 ; was 1300 3 weeks ago. I measure twice to make sure it is needed 1100. Salifert test kit. Could this be test kit error?
Ca - 400 ( varies from 400-420) Salifert
Alk - 8.8 ( varies from 8.0-8.9 ) Hanna
Phosphate = 0 ( was 0.02 3 weeks ago) Hanna

I guess i have to setup a doser.

Should i increase Mg from 1100 to 1300 in one shot, then only measure the daily consumption to calibrate the doser?

That is a surprising Mg drop, unless you made large water changes.

Not that many people have Mg dosers.

Yes, fix Mg first, since it affects Ca/Alk consumption.

Always better to move number slower rather than faster. I would move it over the course of 4 days or so. Kamoer I think is making the favorite standalone dosing pump, but if you think you want to start dosing, there are lots of choices with combined units. I agree, that is a moderate swing, but my salifert test I only trust to +/- 200 ish.

Edit: After re-reading, I would bet your salt is low on mag. I use IO reef crystals, and have the same effect, so I dose mag.

Last edited:
That is a surprising Mg drop, unless you made large water changes.

Not that many people have Mg dosers.

Yes, fix Mg first, since it affects Ca/Alk consumption.
good point. I have been doing 2x weekly 10% water change. I did not measure the parameters in the new water. I also switch salt from TP Classic to Fritz. I will check the Fritz parameters. If the new water have low Mg, this will explain the situation.

good point. I have been doing 2x weekly 10% water change. I did not measure the parameters in the new water. I also switch salt from TP Classic to Fritz. I will check the Fritz parameters. If the new water have low Mg, this will explain the situation.
2x water changes every week, or 1x water change every 2 weeks?

@1.035SG, Fritz Blue mixes at:
Calcium: 400-450 ppm
Magnesium: 1300-1400 ppm
Alkalinity: 8.0-9.0 dKH
Strontium: 9 ppm
Potassium: 400 ppm

2x water changes every week, or 1x water change every 2 weeks?

@1.035SG, Fritz Blue mixes at:
Calcium: 400-450 ppm
Magnesium: 1300-1400 ppm
Alkalinity: 8.0-9.0 dKH
Strontium: 9 ppm
Potassium: 400 ppm

2 x water change every week (Thursday and Sunday).

I have RODI line and drain plumb to under the tank. Water change is easy.

Folks, i think its user error. I measure the new saltwater mixing since this morning and Mag is within range at 1350 . Re-measure the DT again and now its showing ~1300.

Maybe i messed up the initial 2 measurements. Noob mistake.

Great.

A 10% water change twice a week is great.
Since that stabilizes parameters so well, exact doser settings will not matter very much.

Great.

A 10% water change twice a week is great.
Since that stabilizes parameters so well, exact doser settings will not matter very much.

That’s the idea. Water change is easy and cheap with my setup. I do the usual maintenance, clean glass and water change in 10mins max (excluding the mixing the day prior) twice a week. Filter pad and skimmer get daily maintenance.

Back