High Tide Aquatics

Wet tile saw?

In theory sometimes, since "certain corals" is a bit vague.

But better is to borrow the club bandsaw.

And then make some extra frags for friends. :)

As everyone else said "you could" however unless it's a relatively small cut, you might run into a heat issue with too much blade surface rubbing against the coral. That said if this is a big beefy LPS coral who's underside is mostly rock, I probably would slice through at least the rock part.

Is there something special about the blade on the Club bandsaw? I was considering picking up a ~$100 desk top band saw or scroll saw but wondered if there is some recommended blade type.

Is there something special about the blade on the Club bandsaw? I was considering picking up a ~$100 desk top band saw or scroll saw but wondered if there is some recommended blade type.

They’re diamond coated blades and the bandsaw has a water reservoir to cool the blade while cutting.

At least for the Gryphon saws:
1. Water cooling for the blade and to catch most of the water dripping off the coral.
2. The table and body is plastic, so they won't rust. The few metal components including the blade are stainless for the same reason. Water is hard on most machine tools, doubly so for salt water.
3. Diamond blade with a relatively low speed, which also means it has no teeth. While I don't like to do so regularly, I occasionally bump my skin into the blade on my Gryphon and nothing bad happens. The same is not true of toothed blades on bandsaws. As an added bonus, the way they are set up the blade tends to simply jump off of the drive wheel rather than jamming or trashing the blade. I've had a few bad scroll saw experiences when parts stick to the blade. This isn't an issue in a down pull only blade.

I suspect the Inlands are much the same way, but I haven't used one first hand so I'm not sure about their materials and water containment other than that they have a drip.

Thx. This is very helpful and prob saved me from wasting some money. Stuff I didn’t think about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah...saltwater anywhere near woodworking tools is ...no bueno. Reminds me of a few years ago where I had a 300g tub with LR sitting next to my so-called "wood shop" and just the mist played havoc on my cast iron table saw and jointer. I didn't notice it for a couple of weeks... Ouch.

Yeah...saltwater anywhere near woodworking tools is ...no bueno. Reminds me of a few years ago where I had a 300g tub with LR sitting next to my so-called "wood shop" and just the mist played havoc on my cast iron table saw and jointer. I didn't notice it for a couple of weeks... Ouch.

Ouch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The water spraying is definitely a factor, but my girlfriend has one of these so I have bought myself a thin blade and have used it for cutting coral. The best was branching LPS, easy to cut and all survived no problem, easy cut with minimal water. I did a few plating montis with decent results, but I would be weary of putting any of my favorite or more fussy coral through that saw. Definitely gets the job done though, but I always did everything outside far away from any tools and cars for the rust issues mentioned above, plus I suspect one day my girlfriend will get suspicious when her saw has more wear and tear than it should...

Back